COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

I opted not to pull that detail out because the flight had non missionaries and everyone aboard were actually Kiribati citizens.

Donā€™t let facts get in the way of a joke, imo.

2 Likes

Citation needed.

If itā€™s so obvious it should be easy to support

Lol. I mean, we can all play this game:

Are vaccinated people more likely to be socially responsible and therefore take a test? Yes.
Are vaccinated people more likely to believe covid exists and therefore take a test? Yes
Are vaccinated people more likely to fear covid and therefore take a test when symptomatic? Yes.

Thereā€™s a reason we donā€™t confirm things by thinking about them.

3 Likes

Itā€™s perfectly fair to confirm things by thinking about them, the problem is that itā€™s not so straightforward here and thereā€™s a lot of confounding variables.

Therefore, the person claiming something needs to cite something

1 Like

I mean, I think proposing a hypothesis by thinking about it is fine, but thereā€™s a reason the scientific method has withstood the test of time.

It really depends heavily on what the ā€œthingā€ is.

I donā€™t htink anyoneā€™s disputing that testing and tracing are not good. Churchillā€™s claim that ā€œtesting and tracing are not good therefore vaxxed cases are being undercounted relative to unvaxxed casesā€ is what requires a citation.

They donā€™t need to be accurate, they need to be consistent relative to total case numbers. We know thereā€™s an ascertainment bias, and we know it can fluctuate. But the case numbers give us a very good general idea of whether cases are moving up or down, and where they are relative to past points in time.

Regardless of whether the test totals are skewed by behavior or the impacts of the vaccine, as long as those factors stay relatively consistent, the case numbers give us a gauge of whatā€™s happening.

2 Likes

ā€¦ Iā€™ve been saying test & trace is pointless for quite a while nowā€¦

1 Like

There is no reason to think you canā€™t still look at case trends, as Commonwealth indicated. For example, in March and April and May of 2020 testing was more fucked then it is now but you could still look at trends and see when cases were rising and cases were falling.

This is a very different claim than what Churchill was making. You donā€™t get to go, ā€œTesting is undercounting cases, therefore the number of asymptomatic infections in the vaccinated is limited only by my imagination.ā€

1 Like

My wife got omicron but I didnā€™t. I have two shots of Moderna. Iā€™m 2-0 vs Delta/Omicron with full exposure to both. Tested negative on multiple PCRs both times. How rare is that? I usually get sick easily.

8 Likes

The best way to know whether cases are rising or falling isnā€™t with testing numbers, but simply by reading this thread.

The more esoteric the squabbles the safer it is to lick your coworkers.

Looks licking season draws near!

9 Likes

Itā€™s not even that unusual for people co-habitating to somehow avoid passing it on.

Not that uncommon at all:

Of course, maybe you were just a double-secret covid case who tested negative multiple times AND never developed symptoms but still should somehow be counted as a case.

If the testing data is all bullshit, then whatever point Chruch was trying to make by posting testing data is surely also bullshit.

False. Iā€™ve already given you a citation for it in our previous debate. Meanwhile, youā€™ve offered jack shit.

I think vaccination reduces all kinds of cases: asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic, severe cases, and deadly cases. Vaccination against viral infections are not some sort of conservation of mass problem where the reduction in deadly and severe cases all shift to become either asymptomatic or mild cases.

2 Likes

i donā€™t want to fight about semantics. I really think that this graph of cases in NY:

Shows that cases have fallen in NY 74 percent off their peak. Is testing capturing all cases? No. Was testing capturing all cases at the peak? No. Are cases down 74 percent from the peak? In the absence of other actual evidence, sure looks like it to me.

1 Like