COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

I sure hope so. Im admittedly scared by the immune system stuff given the disaster that is the current respiratory season.

China’s government does not swallow its pride. I think the “strategy” was to hope its potency burns itself out sufficiently for humans to be able to live with it, as most people around the world were expecting.

Zero COVID forever was not part of their plan. Look what lockdown’s done to their economic “miracle”, which is the only thing the government cares about.

Also, opening up in Shanghai for instance was already happening by the time the protests started,

That’s not possible without the military. The only actual fear is the protesters’ fear that they and their families will disappear. They are incredibly brave.

1 Like

Think it’s finally happened. Fever. Headache. Sluggish. Or maybe it’s just a normal flu. Who can tell these days?

3 Likes

Lots of stuff going around. Friend of mine in NY just had HPIV-3.

Had never heard of this before now, and initially thought you just portmanteaued three different diseases together.

3 Likes

4 Likes

What is the vaccination policy in China? I would have assumed they would have been mass producing a vax during the lockdown but doesn’t sound like that is the case.

Edit: I see churchill’s post about the vax rate in the elderly.

Their vaccine sucks iirc.

1 Like

That looks like exactly the vax rates if you wanted to thin the herd of the old people. Like you know Texas Lt Gov Dan Patrick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/12/20/china-covid-policy-endanger-world/

China’s “zero covid” policy was unsustainable and abruptly scrapped, but the absence of a coherent fallback strategy threatens a fresh set of nightmares for its population, its economy and the Communist Party leadership. A new crisis could shake the whole world. As the Wuhan outbreak demonstrated three years ago, what begins in China does not necessarily stay there.

China has troubled days ahead. Among those 60 years and older, only about 69 percent have received booster shots, and the uptake is even less among those over 80 years old. They are extremely vulnerable to omicron, and reports from China have indicated that a surge of deaths has already started, with crematoriums working around the clock. Mathematical models predict 1 million or more deaths early next year. China’s government has announced a plan to accelerate vaccination campaigns for the elderly, who have been hesitant to get the shots. For a long while, China has grossly underreported deaths due to covid and probably will continue to do so.

China unwisely eschewed the effective mRNA vaccines for less-effective Chinese-made shots. The population has not been widely exposed to omicron, and thus lacks natural immunity. A potential lifeline is an aerosol vaccine developed by CanSino Biologics. It is being offered as a booster, in the form of an inhaled mist taken in through the mouth, after studies show it triggered an immune system response in people who had previously received two shots of a Chinese vaccine. The best strategy is pressing this vaccine and importing millions of mRNA shots, too.

Mostly just sharing but also this last sentence jumped out.

What are you supposed to do when your covid swab pulls out a booger the size of a grasshopper? I wiped the bulk of it off onto a paper towel. It was the first nostril and I didn’t really feel like shoving the giant booger up the second nostril.

You are supposed to blow your nose before you swab to avoid that.

1 Like

In a letter to all states, federal health secretary Rajesh Bhushan said it was important to track new variants through genome sequencing due to the “sudden spurt of cases being witnessed in Japan, United States of America, Republic of Korea, Brazil and China”.

That’s our Pfizer?

Yes

1 Like

Baby vaccinated. Also:

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1605684788291112960?s=46&t=cLff2-K8kDk-g-ZVWkn2_g

3 Likes

Well it should say that on the package then. :yum:

It does in the instructions, at least for Binax. Tbh I hadn’t fully understood why, but now it makes sense.