COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

No shortage of tests then

Chinaā€™s testing and immediate and full lockdown of cities, sometimes after only a handful of cases, has been exemplary. Itā€™s been achievable because the modernity of their cities facilitates the enforcement of lockdowns (modern residential blocks with security gates).

What hasnā€™t been so great there is the lack of support for businesses, many of which have folded.

Testing wasnā€™t terrible today in NYC.

Needed a test today for international travel, and an appointment I made over a week ago was canceled as I was on my way there. Got immediately super-stressed given the lines Iā€™ve seen over the last two weeks.

But I popped out onto the street and passed like 4-5 different testing options, with maybe a 20 min wait at the worst of them. Actually ended up getting 3 tests (2 PCR and 1 rapid molecular) at two different places which took about an hour flat. Rapid was negative - woohoo.

Those symptoms have been me twice this year, always testing negative for covid. And I before this year I almost never caught colds. Weird.

1 Like

The innate immune system isnā€™t memoryless so even if the innate immune system handles it you might get some protection.

Actually, I believe it is.

It really doesnā€™t seem like much. I could give a pack of tests to all 10~ people in my life bubble, additional tests for their close contacts or if any of them test positive, test myself 2x a week and be out of tests in a month. Also Iā€™m skeptical any of these are going to actually show up on time. As far as Iā€™m concerned anyone not hoarding tests is the crazy one! Itā€™s not my fault, capitalism made me do this, get mad at them, I voted for Bernie.

jal ā€“ thatā€™s part of the adaptive immune system. Thereā€™s two parts of the immune system, the innate and the adaptive. The innate attacks likely pathogens without involving antibodies. The adaptive immune system is what generates antibodies. And yes, there is a memory of those antibodies in the memory B cells even after the antibodies are long gone.

Do you have a link to a decent study that shows this? I havenā€™t seen one yet and would like to take a look.

I could be misreading things, but:

Sorry, I donā€™t. But it does seem obvious based on what we are seeing in regard to hospitalizations and deaths. I think we are far enough along to see the numbers, even with the lag. Hopefully my post is clear that itā€™s just my opinion.

Look at the review I linked to. I understand that the innate immune system is often described as memoryless but itā€™s more complicated than that.

Ok thanks. Iā€™ve learned something.

Your link says

innate memory is considered as a non-specific short-lived phenomenon, as opposed to adaptive memory that is long-lived and highly specific.

2 Likes

Pretty sure T cells are part of the adaptive immune system, not the innate immune system.

T cells are also why vaccines like AZ still provide some protection against bad outcomes from Omicron.

Itā€™s not the modernity that allows it. Itā€™s the tyranny they use every day that allows them to do it.

2 Likes

China was probably a model fo what to do in a pre-vaccine pandemic to prevent huge amounts of death. Post-vaccine, yeah, I wouldnā€™t want to live under the Chinese model. Human rights still mean something.

2 Likes