COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Well I have no benefits, and I can’t punch in and perform at 80% of my usual skill and collect the same paycheck. Most white collar workers would be able to get away with that for long stretches of time - or at least spend more of their 8 hour day actually working than they usually do to accomplish the same tasks.

If I have to take time off to recover, there’s no sick leave or disability or unemployment.

This may be the case, but none of it changes the fact that depending on how it manifests itself, it could affect the other professions listed more or less than yours. Maybe it only affects certain types of cognition, maybe it doesn’t effect things you have already learned as much as new things you are trying to learn, etc. We just don’t know.

If there is a time bomb component of COVID that hits 20 or 30 years post-infection, I’m just going to hope it’s a glitterbomb that makes you super smart and sexy with a full head of lustrous hair.

3 Likes

So whats the minimum possible length between infections? I tested positive on May 15th. Currently starting to feel shitty again with the same early symptoms of sore throat, cough, slightly runny nose. Fuck me if this is a second round of COVID in under two months.

Wow. I must have had Covid back in ‘99.

3 Likes

Two months would be a little quick but not rare, definitely worth testing. Minimum I’ve seen reported is three weeks, but hard to say if they was a reinfection or lingering infection without seeing daily test/sequencing results.

1 Like

I think somebody in Europe was confirmed infected twice 10 days apart by different strains at one point. Probably an extreme outlier though.

1 Like

Pretty sure they said either BA.2.12 confers little or no immunity for BA.4/5 or that 4/5 confer little immunity to 2.75. Hard to keep up with the BA. subvariants without names.

But yeah it seems possible that fast.

1 Like

Just always check how this is measured when evaluating these claims. A 10-fold drop in antibody response in the sera of previously exposed people is a radically different thing from, say, zero or only a small difference in hospitalization and death rates between triple-vaxxed, triple-vaxxed plus caught omicron, and totally naive patients. We’re two months into the second omicron wave, and there just hasn’t been a rise in deaths to go along with it. It seems pretty unlikely that the current vaccines and prior infections are not offering meaningful protection against the worst outcomes, even if the new variants are more likely to cause infections in individuals with some sort of prior exposure.

1 Like

100% this.

I’ve admitted 1 or 2 covid patients in the past few months. It’s rare enough that I can’t think of the last time I did. Last one was an elderly guy who had just stopped eating I think.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t see specifics, just a headline saying something about infection with one of those strains offering little/no protection against catching one of the newer ones. It didn’t say either way on hospitalization and death.

We have seen deaths trending up in some countries on this new wave though, so we’ll see what happens here.

I read immunity in CW post as immunity from
infection. Vaccines certainly still helping on severity, although less so than six months ago

Yeah and there wasn’t anything on whether it escaped vaccination, just prior infection from that specific strain.

So after 3 doses of Paxlovid my wife’s symptoms have basically disappeared except for some slight congestion. Maybe they would have cleared up anyway I guess, hard to know. I’m still fine and testing negative on rapids every day.

4 Likes

My sister got covid. Pretty bad too. Not hospitalization bad but her description is basically OG covid (constant sweating, loss of taste/smell etc). Got it at a wedding she went to in Ireland. Like me she was vaxxed and boosted but I suppose it’s been so long since her booster that it wasn’t effective.

She’ll be fine but it sucks ass. It was her only vacation in the last few years and she gets covid during it.

3 Likes

My brother, his wife, and her parents went to Ireland last month. Trip had been planned for years and postponed multiple times during the pandemic. All were triple vaxxed. 3 of them caught covid while there and were pretty sick. Really sucks that this shit is just going to fuck with everyone at the worst times seemingly forever.

1 Like

My friends and coworkers (generally a responsible lot I guess) largely went up until now getting spared by Covid.

Now everybody is dropping like flies—3 people I know pozzed just today, from 2 different sources.

Anecdotally, ~all of the uber-cautious hermits I know have got it over last few weeks.

Still have only spoken to one person who had it. # of people whose names I know is zero.

I have a bit of a conundrum. I am triple-vaxxed and haven’t had COVID (although it’s possible I was exposed when my gf had it, I could well be seropositive). I become eligible for a second booster shot as of this Monday 11th. Then Tuesday 19th I leave for the US for a month-long holiday, during which I am doing a ton of hiking.

So the question is, should I get a second booster purely for the short-term effectiveness against infection? If it were just about protection against severe illness, I wouldn’t get it. I’m a little concerned by that paper demonstrating that immune imprinting is a thing in COVID. I think there are probably some number of shots beyond which they start becoming a long-term net negative. Whether that number is 3 I have no idea.

I also don’t really know what the effectiveness of a fourth shot against infection with BA.4 and BA.5 is and I don’t think anyone really does. So yeah. Not sure what to do.