COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Walgreens scheduling tool is now live for 3-4 year olds.

1 Like

i know an acquaintance who swears she has long covid with the only manifestation being vertigo. itā€™s like thereā€™s a range of symptoms which are plausible but thereā€™s also a lot that are much much rarer and a bit far fetched.

Both girls booked, thanks. The earliest appointment I could get was next Saturday morning, so thatā€™s what I took.

Saturday seems to be earliest appointment in New York too. Were you able to get Moderna? It seems to be all Pfizer here.

Got word from a friend that he booked his 2 yo at Kaiser, so if youā€™re a Kaiser person, theyā€™re accepting appointments now too.

Doesnā€™t say. I was thinking we pick when we get there, but actually, we only booked one follow up, so maybe itā€™s Moderna.

1 Like

All of the Walgreens near me only have Pfizer available. Should my 4 year old niece just get that asap or should we be waiting/looking for Moderna somewhere?

The difference is small compared to not being vaxxed at all. I would spend a couple of hours of effort and/or delay by no more than a week to get Moderna.

I donā€™t know that there is a right answer, but thatā€™s what I would do.

2 Likes

I actually would be willing to wait a week for Moderna. Pfizerā€™s efficacy numbers after two shots are not good, so even if we assume that they are close enough when done, that takes much longer for Pfizer due to needing 3 shots

So, I would probably book the first Pfizer appointment I could get and then would look around for Moderna until I could get one. I guess I will call Walgreens in the morning to see it they will have both or just one

2 Likes

yeah this is where Iā€™m at tentatively.

So whatā€™s the most you would wait? 1 month?

2 or 3 weeks, because while Pfizerā€™s efficacy numbers against infection are not good, protection against hospitalizations and death matters, and it should still offer that.

Thatā€™s probably fine too. Part of my landing on one week is that if itā€™s 3 wks and you show up and theyā€™re out or some other unexpected thing happens, then it gets pushed out even farther. Risk of that is low, I suppose. But Iā€™m a worrier. 1 week has some cushion built in.

Also, I donā€™t really care about infection prevention that much. Very little. Itā€™s fading hospitalization and death that I am after.

Yeah, a covid infection isnā€™t losing the game. Like, I still tested positive this morning, barely, on a RAT, but Iā€™m symptom-free, and thatā€™s inside of a week from symptom onset. Thatā€™s shorter than the average cold, and with lighter symptoms. Thatā€™s winning. Itā€™s a nuisance to isolate, but itā€™s not that bad. Also, once we can finally get everyone vaccinated (yes, outside of people under 6 months and the immunocompromised who should always be regarded with care even regarding diseases considered less concerning than covid, e.g. my younger daughter spent time in the NICU with a rhinovirus cold), we donā€™t have to regard covid as something any worse than a cold.

1 Like

Just because itā€™s going around like crazy now doesnā€™t mean it wonā€™t do it again in the winter.

I mean, the long COVID studies do not seem very reassuring and the vaccines offer minimal protection from it based on current data. Plus these hepatitis outbreaks are now linked to covid. So, I would still say itā€™s worse than a cold.

Iā€™m in the same boat. Iā€™m going to at least wait until CVS and Rite Aid bring their systems online and Iā€™m going to call the pediatrician on Monday to see if his office has any availability.

it hit me on the way home from vegas hardā€¦ small fever, oozing snot from every opening, and a sore throat

i am 3x pfizer, hope this passes quickly

4 Likes

Thatā€™s probably going to be pediatricians.

Iā€™m going to vaccinate my kid but, meh, donā€™t feel a rush to do it given his recent infection and how limited current gen vaccines are now at preventing infection with current strains. Probably just going to wait until they turn five in a few months and do it then with the 5+ dose. Hopefully will have the updated vax then although it looks like data there pretty weak for newer Omicron too.

We need better vaccines and treatments or are caught in an endless reinfection cycle (or mitigation but lololol no this is America). Wastewater data in my area suggest we arenā€™t surging, but arenā€™t getting down anywhere close to previous lulls. Really am concerned at 2022-2023 winter being a third straight mass death/overwhelm healthcare event.