COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

What is protocol if you test positive but have no symptoms? Last symptoms were a few days ago.

CDC recommends hard iso for 5 days, starting with day 0 as the first day of symptoms. Then mask in public for the next 5

2 Likes

Good Qs, I gotta get to the gym, Iā€™ll red it later.

Iā€™m seeing a theory on Twitter that there is a reservoir in bone marrow and that it gets into the blood from there

lol, bone marrow is where white blood cells are made. Those little COVID guys are hiding out in the lionā€™s den if true.

If that ends up being the case, and I want to be really clear that this is a massive if, Iā€™m very curious if an mRNA therapeutic could treat it. My instinct from my research on mRNA is that itā€™s also feasible, but Iā€™m just a layman.

Thanks. So, positive test isnā€™t something that requires a quarantine period anymore if no symptoms?

No it does. Day zero is day of test if no symptoms at all recently.

Oh okay. So, if test positive on 6/16, then hard iso for five days and mask up everywhere for five more?

Basically, as long as testing positive one is at Day 0 for quarantine purposes?

ETA: thanks!

2 Likes

Unless youā€™re Phil Hellmuth at the WSOP, then find a sympathetic doc and go for it.

1 Like

Anecdotally, feels like every four-shot person I know is getting very mild COVID in the last few weeks.

Ok going through this paperā€¦

1. Thereā€™s a red flag in the study design. Itā€™s comparing two very different groups at baseline. The Long covid group is 81% female vs 38% in the control. Control had a lot more intubations and ICU admissions. That makes interpreting this data very difficult.
  2. I donā€™t see how they define PASC (their term for long covid) other than someone who was diagnosed with it. This is a glaring admission. How narrowly you define PASC is very likely going to have a massive impact on how generalizable this study is.
  3. Still, their results are impressive and a better designed study with better follow up could be super important. As structured though, this is at best the study before the study that really demonstrates what long covid is.
  4. Some parts of this preprint arenā€™t fixable, but before they publish they have to define how someone got into the PASC group better.

Overall, a super super interesting paper that Iā€™ll keep a close eye out for work in a similar vein.

3 Likes

I have four shots and Iā€™m still on Team NOvid.

1 Like

Right on.

Of course Iā€™m also still on Team N95/KN95.

100% of the time in public?

Me and my friends are at KN95s about 90%ish and still living hermetic lifestyles.

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE FINE, UPSTANDING SCIENTISTS OF HARVARD, PEON

2 Likes

ha

Just to be clear I think this is some great work. Limitations of a study donā€™t mean it isnā€™t helpful or useful.

I was bugged by how they just didnā€™t define long covid at all though.

99.9% of the time indoors in public. When needed I take a deep breath, pull it down, drink water, pull it back up, swallow and breathe to try to minimize exposure to unprotected air. Outdoors I rarely wear them.

1 Like

I havenā€™t yet, despite living in a high-rise now. However, I still wear masks whenever Iā€™m indoors with anyone other than my grown kids.

2 Likes

I think if I get pozzed for real for real it will happen in two weeks, when the baby is meeting great-grandma and a few great aunts.

Yeah, meant indoors in public.