COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Cue Riverman’s speech about how “loyal” employers are to their workers who go the extra mile,

I do want to go back to work… we’re really short and they need to get me up to speed as soon as possible. I already feel bad enough having to call out of today. I already worked last Thursday and Friday, feeling about the same as I do now, and at least as if not more infectious then.

If they’re fine with the infection risk then I guess I am too.

I saw someone else post this, and it was in regards to interns and residents but it applies to nursing as well 100%.

If you die on shift tomorrow, the hospital will go on. In a year, only a few people will remember your name. In 5 years, there might be a little plaque somewhere that another intern or nurse will look at and wonder what the fuck happened.

Take care of yourself and your happiness first.

7 Likes

My wife went hiking with a friend yesterday and today that friend’s husband tested positive. They drove to the hike together and spent ~2 hours in the car so I’m guessing my wife is going to test positive this week.

3 Likes

Good luck! (One time)

3 Likes

I saw a lay article somewhere this weekend that talked about chronic pain sometimes being ingrained in the brain and can be alleviated by psychological treatment, I think anxiety meds in particular. The pain starts out as organic (in the account I think an ankle injury) and kept getting reinjured. The patient eventually got in a pattern of anticipating the pain, tensing up, basically setting up a whole feedback loop.

I don’t think this is exactly what I read but must be the same source.
No idea how to evaluate.

1 Like

Cvs does clinical visits and will prescribe paxlovud? Was this a virtual appointment? If you are bored and want to publish a step by step on how you did this it would probably be a really useful tool.

It’s been true since the start of COVID that the most common number of people that infected people pass it on to is zero. Viral spread is driven by a minority of infected. For whatever reason some people are constantly spewing virus everywhere during their infectious period and some people aren’t.

I went to the physio this morning and he said a housemate of his got it and they were like, well, can’t avoid it, so they were all like watching movies together on the couch etc the entire time this guy was sick. None of the rest of them got it.

I went on the cdc’s website and there were “diagnose and treat” stations that included some cvs locations near me. It was an in person visit with a PA, they examined me and wrote the script and I got it filled there, for free.

2 Likes

Over Christmas, my entire family was pozzed, we made no effort whatsoever to isolate (partially because that would have been a very convenient time for me to pozz too). Wife and kids got it, I was spared.

1 Like

Younger son pozzed this morning. Older, vaccinated sister negative for now despite much greater exposure. :thinking:

14 Likes

How did she get it sequenced? They just select hers randomly and notify her?

App based? Not knowing anything in particular, seems like random subsampling is easy to do with an app, and offering it to literally everyone is probably too expensive.

not sure if anyone cares about variants anymore but moderna gang still looking strong

1 Like

The failure of the world to develop faster processes for vaccine update approvals is probably the biggest failure of this pandemic. By the time this gets approved in September we’ll probably be onto the Omega variant. Granted, this will probably work better against Omega then the OG vaccine, but still.

I’m not sure it’s possible to get faster approval without changing medical ethics.

it’s a clinical trial, it takes that long because people are given the shot and observed for a period of time, and a different study would confirm the finding.

it doesn’t seem to me that it’s a failure of vaccine updates.

I don’t mean the length of the trial. I mean the length of the approval process. Today is June 8th. There is no good reason once they have all the actual data to spend 3 months reviewing that data.

Three months is faster than usual. What do you think happens in a data review?

Is everyone working literally around the clock with 12 on 12 off shifts of alternating scientists and scheduling meetings such that it takes priority over everything else? If not, that’s a problem. I get that it’s faster than vaccines used to roll out. It still needs to be faster.

Is the approval process a black box for you and you’re just assuming things can be faster without knowing what goes on inside?