COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Right, Im just saying boosted people infected with Omicron is only a thing thats happened for like 3 months so I have no idea how to really estimate long-COVID rates. My guess is they’d be lower than in previous data, but that’s just a guess.

Longer-term, yeah, who knows.

And this will be re-boosting, not just boosting. So no data on that.

I’ve definitely gained weight during the pandemic. The pockets on my one suit that fits were definitely flaring a little bit at my son’s Bar Mitzvah in December. I knew it was time to lose weight (as I have a bag of peanut butter M&M’s in front of me) when my JEANS started feeling tight.

In my case, it’s actually the opposite. Peloton, baby!

Me: bottomless snacks!

So was I reading right that BA2 makes up 10% of NYC cases and is doubling every two weeks now?

Percentage is, but total cases are coming down so I dont know if its doubling that fast. I had sort of seen estimates of R0 above 1, but not by much, for BA2. Barring a real bearish view on BA1 immunity not transferring to BA2, hard to see a real new wave coming imminently in places where Omicron hit although we probably plateau/see a modest increase at some point in the not to distant future.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RobbySlowik/status/1501248222265843716

14 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/fernwoodsson/status/1499489423704084482

8 Likes

I guess the power that be have decided that Covid is over. Meanwhile the hospital here still has a packed Covid ward and a bunch of Covid patients in ICU. To be fair I think we have the highest positive Covid rates in the country right now.

Oh well anyways COVID IS OVER! FREEDOM IS COMING!

I’ll still wear my mask.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1501595413832519682

6 Likes

I remember, at the time, thinking that his idiotic actions potentially could have infected lots of people.

With the benefit of hindsight I think his idiotic actions may have in fact saved lives as the NBA and other leagues shut down when he tested positive. It was kind of a turning point where some authority figures began to take action.

6 Likes

Holy shit

Porque no los dos?

Czech Republic removing mask mandates everywhere but public transport, nursing/retirement homes, and medical centers.

At 10,000 cases per day, I’ll still be wearing mine even if not necessary.

Meanwhile, Italy still checking passes before entering bars and restaurants.

Politically I can see the motivation to life restrictions in advance of an election, but they might have timed this so that there will be a big wave of infections before the election and they will feel like they can’t reintroduce restrictions because that will cost them votes.

What bugs me more than lifting the restrictions (it has to happen sometime) is that they haven’t make any progress in making the health care system more resilient to future waves. We have basically the same hospital and ICU resources we had in February 2020, but with significant worker shortages because health care jobs are increasingly shitty.

It’s okay though, because:

https://twitter.com/tonyromm/status/1501653323967045633

I’m talking about Ontario but its basically the same situation here. Even before Covid we were basically continuing to kick the can down the road on increasing health care costs and not really planning to either meet rising health care service demands or otherwise curtail yhe demand. We couldnt/wouldn’t move fast enough to solve a problem decades in the making, so its not surprising that they couldn’t/wouldn’t move quickly in an emergency.

A Canadian with a Rangers fetish?

Im skeptical. How could you turn your back on your people, man?

Right, the way it seems likely to play out is that resources will flow to the richest areas from the poorest areas through a very efficient (at helping the rich at the cost of the poor) capitalist healthcare system. Those who are uninsured who use the emergency rooms for standard care will be extra fucked in a surge, and those who have genuine emergent medical needs in poor areas during surges will be fucked.

The middle class and upper middle class will see their availability of quality emergency care deteriorate quite a bit, but it won’t be talked about much, it won’t be on tv, and they’ll only really notice if they end up in the ER.

The only things they seem likely to do to try to mitigate this are putting more nursing and doctoral students in the field, putting the National Guard in hospitals to triage and do “basic” stuff, and beg people to be more careful if cases surge. But again the first two will just deteriorate quality of care and efficiency, and the last one is like trying to put out a four alarm chemical fire with a garden hose.

1 Like