COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

In Vermont, hospitalizations have been soaring since late March:

Kind of looks like we might get waves of BA and Delta every year as peoples immune systems adapt much like we have different flu strains.

Gonna be wild with such a mix of variants, infection acquired antibodies and various vaccines and regimes.

Fingers crossed, Moderna will be approved for kids <11 within about a month.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2203315

CONCLUSIONS
Two 50-μg doses of the mRNA-1273 vaccine were found to be safe and effective in inducing immune responses and preventing Covid-19 in children 6 to 11 years of age; these responses were noninferior to those in young adults.

One the one hand, great. On the other, what about 5 and under, motherfuckers?!

1 Like

dammit saw under 11, but it was 5-11. Come on under 6mo-5yr

https://twitter.com/PostWorld/status/1524555820851159040?t=Up3T-j3q0p2QmONwNGpoXw&s=19

Sounds like they’re looking for approval for everyone?

The company is seeking approval for the use of its vaccines in three distinct age groups - adolescents aged 12 to 17 years, children aged six to 11 and those between six years and six months. The submissions for all three groups were made on May 9, it said.

I’ll calm down when I see the actual data.

Yeah, I don’t blame you. It was an enormous relief for us when our kids got their shots.

CA Dept of Public Health going all in on triggering right-wing dipshits. Masks, no white kids, using the words “kind” and “kindness”. The hijab is the chef’s kiss.

2 Likes

Trump-Gaetz 2024: Fuck your kindness and fuck your kids!

Wait, may need a different VP for that campaign slogan.

2 Likes

I think this is a promising signal:

Today, Rep. James E. Clyburn, Chairman of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, issued the following statement after a staff briefing by Dr. Peter Marks, Director for the Center of Biologics Evaluation and Research at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on the status of coronavirus vaccine candidates for young children that took place on the afternoon of May 6.

[snip to get to the key point:]

FDA Will Not Withhold Authorization Based Exclusively on Vaccine Efficacy at Preventing Symptomatic Infection

• Dr. Marks explained that FDA would not withhold authorization for a pediatric vaccine solely because it did not reach a 50% efficacy threshold at blocking symptomatic infection—a requirement that had been previously listed in FDA guidance. The vaccines currently authorized in the United States have proven to be less effective at preventing symptomatic infection from the Omicron variant—as compared to the original strain—but still remain effective at reducing the risk of severe disease.

• Dr. Marks confirmed, “If these vaccines seem to be mirroring efficacy in adults and just seem to be less effective against Omicron like they are for adults, we will probably still authorize.” He further stated that FDA would “look carefully at all data” when assessing the vaccines—including the efficacy against severe disease—and made clear that “the goal here is to get some protection in sooner rather than later.”

Past 100 years or so of spillover events:

1 Like

what’s the point? end of pandemic then?
lols @ under 5’s.

“Only 11% have been vaccinated in low-income countries and we set a target of 70%,” he said.

To protect my girls from sickness and death you fuckwit.

2 Likes

I thought they already had it (and passed it on to their Dad (who didn’t get tested) who is still here to tell the story) you fuckwit

Immunity from past infection is neither as robust nor as lasting as vaccination, and we know that immunity from vaccination wanes, too. Guess I should just keep letting them get covid so that they’ll be protected from covid?

2 Likes

You’ve waived any right to an expectation of sympathy if you have some sort of karmic result affecting an under-five in your life.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: About Moderation