COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Where are you getting this from? He didn’t say anything like this.

Wookie’s compelling case is that the kid/s were grouchy - that wasn’t even reported by the CROWD-FUNDED app. On the other side, tests were negative. Go figure. No peer review though, so I’ll give him that. Almost like he thought it, so it must be. That evidence doesn’t usually hold up in the world’s best covid thread but I’ll let it pass.

Germ theory continues to exist. You can’t use a survey of adults to rule out a symptom in children. You supposedly have children, so you should be able to figure out that little ones don’t exactly come in saying exactly what’s going on.

Yes

Lets please not respond any further to Churchill posts while he sits out for a week

Prefacing this with the statement that I’m not educated enough to know if this is a good study but I’m assuming it’s decent since I think Nature is a respected journal:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-06629-2

Seems like mRNA vaccines provide better protection against variants than a previous infection.

2 Likes

1 Like

This Canadian has had enough of the trucker protest (NSFW language).

7 Likes

rut roh, China? By my count they have a higher 7DMA than they have since February 2020.

According to my GF absolutely nobody wants to get tested in China, ever. Getting pozzed means you won’t be able to leave your house for weeks, along with anyone you’ve had close contact with. So people let themselves get extremely sick before reporting to a treatment facility. Doctors cannot treat people with fevers to prevent cases from slipping through the cracks.

A population with mediocre vaccination and little prior infection to Covid facing a brutally inflexible control regime and a mild, fast-spreading variant seems like a dam that will break at some point.

Eagles fans living up to their reputation even in Canada, I see :)

4 Likes

I was just listening to an interview on The Press Box podcast with Jason Gay, a WSJ reporter. He had been in Beijing covering the Olympics before flying back to LA just in time to cover the Superbowl.

The Beijing experience:

• being met at the airport by officials in full hazmat suits and having to pass a PCR test before being allowed to leave
  • getting on a special bus directly to a media hotel that had secured access preventing the reporters from leaving and any random outsiders from entering
  • only leaving the hotel to board special buses that went directly to/from sporting venues
    -daily testing with mandatory quarantine / contract tracing for posses
  • KN 95 mask required in all common areas, well enforced by employees
  • limited if any spectators at events

The LA experience

• shrug emoji

Why aren’t the Chinese better vaccinated?

Well my youngest got COVID. Good news is was super mild I guess, at least initially, only did it as a formality to return to school, only had symptoms for a day. Hopefully no long-term effects.

All rapids were negative fwiw just PCR poz

9 Likes

They’re well-vaccinated, but the vaccine isn’t great compared with mRNA vaccines.

This was pretty widely reported prior to Omicron, and more nowadays it looks like best possible case is that it has Omicron efficacy near mRNA (likely lower), which is obviously nowhere near good enough to prevent a huge spike.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/02/16/why-im-not-ready-to-unmask

One Morro lesson seems particularly relevant to where we are now in the pandemic: He often said that late in a game, when both teams are tired, some players get sloppy while others somehow concentrate even more, focus more, push more — and win.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nprinskeep/status/1493999175687626758?s=21

5 Likes

You’re damn right. We’re passionate, intelligent, don’t tolerate bullshit, and are quick to call assholes out on their shit.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been posted here yet, but I don’t think it has. Moderna plans to have boosters ready in August, which will either be Omicron specific, OG, or bivalent with both. It’ll depend on trials between now and then.

They also say their fastest timeline on the pan-respiratory vaccine against flu, rsv, and covid would be August 2023.

This is from a Reuters interview with their CEO.

1 Like

This guy let out what I’ve kept bottled up for 2 years. Everything I’ve wanted to say to the anti-maskers turned anti-vaxxers. Good for him.

And yes, I am an Eagles fan too.

2 Likes

The European Medicines Agency says the vaccines seem to have similar efficacy vs. BA.2 as they do against original Omicron, per Reuters.

I got this in my inbox as a news clipping from my brokerage, I can’t find the original article.