COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Maybe I missed it here, but apparently, Federal funding for testing sites was going to be cut off today, and was only extended because of pressure from Congress. WTF? Jared?

Seems like the Feds should be ramping up to thousands of sites with millions of tests per week, like they said they would. Instead, they’ve got 41 sites and 77k tests overall.

1 Like

Meh - feel like the cops is right here. You let one guy camp there and then more show up, and then you have a big problem. Better to just close all camp grounds to stop the problem before it can start. While the site was deserted other than him, we have no idea how many other people the cops have kicked out,

They are accepting cash? They go from house to house to house touching people’s money?

It’s not a campground. There are millions of acres of the middle of nowhere - practically half of Nevada - owned by the Bureau of Land Management (the people of the united states) where you can camp for free. There are no services at all. The campgrounds in BLM land are actually all closed and where this guy was was supposed to be open, but he didn’t want to argue with the cop. And even in “crowded” dispersed camping areas people don’t get anywhere near as close as houses are to each other in suburban neighborhoods with big yards.

Oh, and he was being sent to a park in the middle of a town. No chance at all that that would have led to less crowding.

And this is the guy’s only home. He’s living in his home, not camping anyway.

The cop was wrong.

4 Likes

Ha. I should have quoted just the Home Depot part. Though sprinkler head ventilators don’t seem all that implausible atm.

A Trump supporter sent me a FB post claiming ventilators in pressure support mode are actually harming CV patients. I don’t know if that idea has popped up itt, I’m too far behind but maybe I’ll post it a little later.

Latest from Cuomo

Recent daily deaths
April 2: 562
April 3: 630
April 4: 594
April 5: 599
April 6: 731
April 7: 779
April 8: 799
April 9: 777

Now they are reporting that people who used the website to order and pick up their groceries may have been exposed. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

1 Like

Yes, I was going to just put it down and let him take it and he snagged it real quick… This time I’ll probably make a stronger attempt to distance and make it clear. I doubt most are giving them cash, and I doubt it’s the riskiest thing he did that day to grab it.

That is, assuming I give cash. Last time the grocery store was farther away, which I didn’t realize until after the order, and I had put in a flat tip of ~10% then adjusted the order and the tip stayed flat. So I wanted to add to it.

Gotta wipe that shit down.

The virus has probably changed things a lot on this front, but, pre-Covid many people preferred to tip in cash because of questions about how much of the in app tips actually make it to the delivery people vs the apps. And anecdotally, lots of delivery people have been reporting a decline in tips since the rise of “contactless delivery” features in the apps.

2 Likes

It’s probably way easier to stiff someone if you don’t have to look them in the eye.

3 Likes

Frankly, I’m giving a little side-eye to anyone who’s not bumping their tip up in consideration of the dangerous work. People stiffing on tips… I suppose you show who you really are in a crisis.

5 Likes

Part of the problem with the “when was Trump briefed” question is that we know he only wants short presentations with lots of pictures that require no attention and thought. It doesn’t matter when anybody first tried to tell him about this as a future threat because we know he wouldn’t have done anything. We also know this because when it was no longer a future thing but a present thing he still didn’t do anything for quite a while.

5 Likes

Cuomo is talking about doing a testing coalition with NY-NJ-CT. I don’t know if I posted it in here but I think the blue states dealing with outbreaks should have teamed up to form a PPE/vent buying coalition to fix prices, then asked Obama to decide how to deploy it between the states. If NY, NJ, IL, MI, CA, WA all jumped in, I think it could have worked, and people trust Obama to make decisions like that. They could have offered to let red states in too, although they probably would have declined.

Given the ineptitude of Trump, not to mention malfeasance, blue states need to band together when possible.

1 Like

So if this is all false, shouldn’t they be mad at Trump for doing all the stuff he is doing. If they aren’t, why not.

1 Like

He had already fired everyone competent and then everyone half way competent and the dregs and ass kissers that were left were going to brief him? Here’s the briefing:

“Dude sir, some nerd in the Department of Nerds is here and says the China virus might spread.”

“Tell him we are considering it very strongly and to beat it.”

5 Likes

Full lockdown to continue until the 5th of May here in the Rep. of Ireland.

1 Like

Yeah I used to tip the suggested 5% and round up, and I had only used Instacart once - coincidentally when I was very sick a year ago and legit couldn’t bring myself to go out. I felt super guilty/weird about it, it felt like having a butler or something, and I didn’t like it.

So now I doubled it and spent a lot of time thinking about whether it’s enough, feels like it is. Ultimately if I go by how much it would take to get me to go to a store, there’s no number, but if I was used to making like $10-12 an hour on there with shitty tippers as a healthy young person with minimal risks and now I could make $40+ that seems like it would be good.

That does suck. I don’t know a solution to the tip thing though as the quality of shoppers vary greatly. Many are excellent and try to help me find replacement stuff. Others run through the store and clearly run past stuff in stock and don’t get it. I had one shopper skip half my items in normal times and not acquire or ask about a single replacement.

Someone like that should have had their tip massively reduced, although I didn’t.

Another issue is if you tip a percentage, it is pretty easy to have your total to be less than when you ordered due to out of stocks. Right now that has to be very common. I have had my total be significantly less. Again, I didn’t adjust the tip, but definitely cases where I should have.

One thing I will say is a couple of times I had items not show up that I paid for and instacart has given me a refund really quickly.

I don’t doubt people are scamming shoppers with tip swaps, but I also don’t doubt some of the shoppers complaining deserved to have their tip reduced under normal circumstances. Under current circumstances, no, it is a dick move because the service shoppers are providing right now is much bigger than it normally is.

I hope nobody else in that court room died or even got real sick. If it was just that dumb judge I am okay with it. Otherwise it is a tragedy and travesty.