COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

There are stories of this happening all over. In my local paper there was a story about an engineering student who built a working ventilator out of parts from home depot and then donated it to the hospital for use if all else fails. Apparently a lot of them are posting the designs online.

That would be a lock if Acton was the governor. As things stand, in their minds it would probably make DeWine appear cool.

Keep in mind that is 15% in one small hard-hit area. You canā€˜t extrapolate from that.

I suppose, the confidence intervals are really wide but itā€™s something at least.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1248404074309001216?s=20

PREACH

9 Likes

Great follow. He has started a podcast and been a guest on others.

Basically our discussion this week about the model. So wowza bad assumptions.

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/1248362891201392640?s=21

5 Likes

It seems there could be a bigger problem than health in Germany vs. US:

Hope they adjusted the estimated mortality rate based on this. If not, it seems irresponsible to claim 0.37% when there are likely more who will die. (1537 is the number in that area that were hospitalized from CV-19.)

Virus reactivation is a potential twist I find pretty concerning.

I am on team all our tests must suck, for the time being.

Depressing

4 Likes

Western Europe has about 10000 deaths above expectation per week based on previous years (70000 compared to 60000). Not enough data yet to be reliable.

Iā€™m real curious about Russia deaths vs. expectation.

It would be more humane to give an OD of morphine than to put a covid patient on a homemade ventilator. They would work for fairly healthy lungs, say for surgery or someone intubated for airway protection, but fuck no not for covid.

2 Likes

Mass graves in NYC, thereā€™s drone video on Twitter. They appear to be cardboard caskets but Iā€™ll spoiler it anyway.

1 Like

Shocker

Damn. People doing the burying are supposedly prison inmates. Not that this isnā€™t a new level, but also supposedly this is a mass grave site since 1980.

This one really got to me. Not sure if we should post this heartstring-tugging stuff here.

3 Likes

Not much of an ethical dilemma as long as you give them out somewhere. Locally better.

imo, wait til you get em and then go share them with your local nursing homes/hospitals. Donā€™t promise anything to anyone until you have them in hand (so to speak).

Trump was explicitly warned about the possible Covid-19 pandemic - by his own officials - in Jan/Feb of this year; and also about pandemics in general since before he was fucking inaugurated years ago. Obamas admin held meetings about it just for his admin to take on board what had been learned and prepared for. Trump admin trashed that, as we all know now. And here we are.

But Keeedā€™s like: Iā€™m obviously not defending Trump, but China, something blah, blah, blah.

gtfo w your Trump stanning Keeed

3 Likes

fuck off you lying ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Obviously the Chinese government isnā€™t to be trusted on any of this shit. Obviously Trumpā€™s response has been quite bad.

2 Likes

Alright so I got a big fucking problem.

My sister, not the nurse but the one married to a Trump supporter, well that guy has 3 young adults from a previous marriage and unsurprisingly they arenā€™t taking it serious, they work at amazon, donā€™t wear masks etc. So my sister is freaking out that itā€™s a high risk house. Sheā€™s 37 and is a bit of a hypochondriac and thinks she has health issues that have never actually been diagnosed.

Anyways, she wants to come stay with us. My mom told her thatā€™s fine. Iā€™m furious at my sister. My mom is obviously not going to say no, itā€™s her daughter.

I know my sister is scared but I have every right to tell her she canā€™t fucking come here right?

1 Like