COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Glue a bunch of cigarette filters together. Two birds one stone and what-not.

2 Likes

So re: grocery shopping. My thought process has mostly been that delivery drivers are in the store anyway, and having a dozen instacart/Whole Foods employees regularly shopping and delivering is preferable to a bunch of their customers going to the store.

On the other hand, it does feel pretty gross that itā€™s largely wealthier people paying largely poorer people to go out in the pandemic and buy their shit.

How have you guys been handling it? What do you all think is the right move?

My friends have urged me to use instacart too. But Iā€™m already super germ conscious anyway, and carried purell around when it wasnā€™t cool. I feel like Iā€™m putting my designated ā€œshopperā€ in as much danger as I would be in. And what if that person has been exposed? I am reasonably sure that I have not been exposed. So Iā€™ll be going again when I run out of food.

I understand what you are trying to say but stop it. That is not how addictions work.

As someone who quit smoking for 6+ months twice only to start again before finaly kicking the habit permanently on my third attempt, I can say that the first cigarette after 6 months is nothing like the first cigarette you ever have. On the other hand the first 3 weeks are the hardest, so if you just go with quitting now, youā€™ve already gotten through the hardest part. I would say by week 8-10 the cravings start to die down.

Now itā€™s 12 years since my last cigarette and sometimes when I walk by someone smoking I have an urge. it is never completely gone.

4 Likes

Iā€™m stopping cause its a derail. And I think Iā€™m pretty clear that Iā€™m not coming from a position of expertise. Iā€™m just saying what worked for me, and that if youā€™ve made it three weeks without smoking, the hard part is over.

2 Likes

I go out because Iā€™m a reckless, selfish and have a deathwish. Also I wear a mask, stay away from people, touch nothing that Iā€™m not getting except a cart that has been wiped down before me and will be wiped after me and thereā€™s no chance Iā€™m giving or receiving covid while I do this.

2 Likes

The Economist is touting a new study backing up the ā€œstealth spreadingā€ theory, which they are saying calculated that 7 million Americans had COVID-19 as of March 15.

We only need to change our behaviour enough get R0 below 1 in a few weeks (or sooner if possible), not eliminate it altogether yet.

If people who canā€™t get online deliveries don a face mask and gloves while whizzing around the supermarket and keeping their distance from others, once a fortnight, that should get us there imo.

I see this all the time. The correct expression is ā€œTwo buds with one stone.ā€

Wait, what?

1 Like

Have you given any thought to the people youā€™re asking to increase their own risk so you can get a taco?

If so many people actually have Covid how are there still so many people who test negative?

Werenā€™t there a bunch of studies posted yesterday that basically say the opposite? That in places without many confirmed covid cases people arenā€™t testing positive for antibodies very much?

1 Like

I donā€™t think the gloves help. Maybe hurt overallā€¦maybe the virus lives longer on glovesā€¦maybe people touch more thingsā€¦and in addition to being wasteful a lot of people are just throwing gloves on the ground.

Not ONLY did I give much thought to it, but I explicitly asked people in this thread about this and nobody told me otherwise. So feel free to suck my dick, Snarky Brown.

Have you given any thought about why you have always been a bottom 5% poster going back to 2p2?

I had a test done for the flu or something last July, and they really have to stick the thing all the way up your nose. Itā€™s like the worst thing ever. Iā€™d assume most people arenā€™t getting it far enough in there

What does this even mean? Who keeps track of this and what metric is used?

Sorry, my bad. I must have missed the part where you mentioned anybody other than yourself.

I think the antibody test is a finger prick.