COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

They already fired some guy in Washington State I believe for saying “well actually it’s a good thing that old people are dying, less drain on the safety net”

Bad press. That’s it.

This framing is both wrong and politically unwise. People are not going to die for the Dow, they’re going to die because the federal government is paralyzed by the ineptitude and corruption of the president and his lackeys. We do not need to “rebuild the entire economic system” to beat the coronavirus, we need a competent government to take the necessary steps to rein in the disease. Every other country has suffered less from this outbreak than us, and none of them have rebuilt their economies to do it. We could have suffered less than we have, and far less than we will, but Trump failed.

8 Likes

Correct. The same idiots who constantly strive to relax any and all regulations or government oversight also would easily somehow believe an accident like this could never happen.

Daily confirmed COVID hospital and nursing home deaths since peak (from Cuomo press conference)
April 8: 799
April 9: 777
April 10: 783
April 11: 758
April 12: 671
April 13: 778
April 14: 758
April 15: 606
April 16: 630
April 17: 540
April 18: 507
April 19: 478
April 20: 481
April 21: 474
April 22: 438
April 23: 422
April 24: 437
April 25: 367
April 26: 337
April 27: 335
April 28: 330
April 29: 306
April 30: 289
May 1: 299
May 2: 280
May 3: 226
May 4: 230

I’m shedding no tears if Christie becomes a Darwin Award winner, that’s for sure.

1 Like

What do these fucking idiots think is going to happen when we “open up” the economy again? And I’m not even talking about the deaths. I’m talking about the economy. Ain’t nobody going shopping, going to movies, going to restaurants. They’re doing this for nothing.

6 Likes

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/white-house-economic-adviser-struggles-to-explain-his-pandemic-model-that-shows-zero-deaths-by-may-15/

It’s not over. France has over 50% unemployment in the private sector now.

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s right. Look at the beaches.

The short answer is, they changed the model. Not, “updated with new data”, but actually changed the model.

Basically, they realized that future deaths aren’t just related to current death trends, but they are also related to current case numbers. They also seem to have created a mobility score where they assume that spread will decrease in areas where mobility is decreasing and increase if mobility is increasing.

Fair. I didn’t literally mean “no one,” but there’s not gonna be enough demand for anything to make it worth it. I guess time will tell.

They must read UP.

7 Likes

[quote=“econophile, post:9050, topic:1461”][/quote]

I guess we’ll see what happens when NY opens back up, but this is encouraging.

Untitled

Mysterious child illness may be linked to virus

At least 15 children in New York City hospitals have experienced symptoms of an illness which may be associated with Covid-19, according to health officials.

The children were all admitted to hospital between 17 April and 1 May, according to an alert sent to medical providers by the New York City Health Department on Monday.

Several of the children have since tested positive for Covid-19.

The illness is a multi-system inflammatory syndrome, with symptoms similar to toxic shock syndrome or Kawasaki disease, the alert says.

Kawasaki disease can cause inflammation and limit blood flow to the heart. It is often treatable but can be fatal.

Doctors in the UK, Spain and Italy have already warned that increased cases of Kawasaki disease in children may be related to the coronavirus pandemic.

This seems really bad. One of the key reasons given by a lot of vaccine researchers for confidence a vaccine could be developed was that the spike protein is a good vaccine target.

I had also assumed, (probably naively), that since the spike protein seemed to be allowing efficient access into the human cells that it was unlikely to mutate in any significant way.

Seems like day after day just more and more and more bad news.

Coronavirus speculations:

• Coronavirus is not extremely contagious, in the sense that brief contact with an infected person will not make you sick. It has a relatively high R0 due to relatively mild symptoms for many and/or an infectious pre-symptomatic period. The clickbait about coronavirus surviving in the air for hours or on cardboard for weeks is totally irrelevant.
  • Instead, transmission happens from being in close quarters for extended periods–offices, living situations, restaurants, transit, having friends over.
  • Social isolation in the sense of staying home is ~100% effective in preventing infection. Social distance in the original sense (staying 6ft away from people on the sidewalk, not shaking hands) has little impact.
  • There is a vast and largely unappreciated gulf between people who are working from home (close to zero chance of infection) and essential workers who are still required to work (very high risk). I don’t know if the stats are there to test this hypothesis, but I would anticipate that the vast majority of deaths in New York are among the poorer classes.
  • It is plausible that the epidemic peak in NYC reflects herd immunity among the classes that are regularly exposed to the virus. Corollary: if the susceptible classes drop their quarantine before the disease is eradicated, it will spread like wildfire. Second corollary: Even if the quarantine is maintained, the disease will continue to grow among the working classes elsewhere in the country and extract a similar toll.

I’m in a cheerful mood today!

3 Likes

In addition to increased but still depressed activity in the short run, they want everyone to go ahead and get Corona so the survivors will do the things you are talking about. A two year shutdown is happening over their dead body, literally.

1 Like

I’ve got a friend who’s convinced I had it. On New Year’s Day I came down with the weirdest sickness I’ve ever known. It was like a terrible cold only with flu like symptoms. I had the chills and literally couldn’t get off the couch and slept most of the day. I was coughing like crazy, but you know how when you’re sick you cough because you’re all congested? Well, I was trying to, but there was no phlegm to cough up! It was just this real dry cough. I also wasn’t getting any better for days. I even went to an Emergency Care clinic on the 6th day thinking I had pneumonia or something and to get antibiotics in case it was bronchitis. Didn’t work. I started improving slightly, but still felt weird, fatigued, and not right. FINALLY after about 2 weeks I started feeling somewhat normal.

I don’t think it was COVID because a). Jan 1 was too early, b). I didn’t infect anybody else, and c). There were no deaths reported around me that I know of. So I put the chance at <1% that I had it, but man it was the weirdest sick I’ve ever been including any kind of flu. Anyone think it’s greater than 1% I had it? 0%?

Los Alamos researchers believe a modified strain of the original corona virus that originated in China is much more contagious.