COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1256947713649840130?s=20

1 Like

this is a self own right? ya mark cuban, billionaire owner of a professional sports franchise and famous shark tank panelist, please enlighten your millions of followers with your theory on why American politics are so dysfunctional?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPDizzle/status/1256948500387905537

3 Likes

Pretty sure at least one of the Russian doctors was a legitimate suicide. At least a good cover story of jumping after she learned of being assigned to a COVID ward.

I really really want to know the exact mechanics of how this is happening. Obviously Putin is doing it, or has instructed local officials to do it. And obviously itā€™s to kill the trouble-making doctors in a very obvious way to send a message. Maybe @pyatnitski can shed some light here?

But on top of that - do goons (Putin-level? Local?) just show up in suits and then someone gets thrown out the window? Are they to the level where they can do it in front of witnesses like the mob and still no one says anything? If say some brave witness did speak out - would there even be an investigation - even if a sham? Would any media left in Russia report it?

Man I want to know the answers to how this actually works - mainly to look out for the first signs it could start happening here. I guess in Russia the KGB was always able to do that going back as long as anyone remembers - so they already broke that barrier a long time ago.

2 Likes

Of course. Theyā€™ve been doing this kind of thing for ages.

1 Like

3 Likes

Come on man. No fucking way. The instant a second doctor plummeted out of their building the minute they spoke up, the odds of the first being legit suicide dropped to basically zero. This has to be sending a message, in the most obvious way possible, to shut the F up and grind through it.

I think also itā€™s Putin messing with Trump - saying ha ha look what I can do - I bet you wish you had this kind of power!

You actually believe this?

A doctor with access to all manner of drugs that would make the act of taking oneā€™s own life less, shall we say, dramatic instead chooses to hurl themselves out a window leaving a mangled corpse and all but assure a closed casket funeral, not to mention the trauma inflicted on those they left behind?

3 Likes

I donā€™t know. Pretending that the government isnā€™t horribly complicit in everything wrong in our society absolutely including wealth inequality is a little silly. American politics are super dysfunctional because people are stupid and easy to manipulate.

Society has no idea how to deal with the technologies that weā€™ve come up with in the last 50 years. Modern advertising, the internet, instant communications, etc. Itā€™s made propaganda and misinformation tools of such scale and power that our system is literally collapsing before our eyes.

I actually largely agree with Cuban here. And Iā€™m hardly the only one. Thatā€™s an article from slate, who are pretty fucking liberal. Iā€™m sure I disagree with Cuban about why that is, but I canā€™t disagree with the assessment that we have a government that serves oligarchs quite well and generally oppresses everyone who isnā€™t in the top 20% at least.

The reality is that several of the things Trump constantly harped on in the 2016 election were basically correct. There really is an elite class of people in this country, largely gated by elite academic institutions and old money, who are screwing the rest of usā€¦ and our trade with China was a huge mistake that has cost the country dearly and done a tremendous amount of damage. He found the right mixture of populist bullshit to spew to be very very appealing to a group of people who live in a state of constant corporate propaganda bombardment who can no longer tell whatā€™s real and what isnā€™t. Good propaganda has a core of truth that you scaffold your lies onto. Trumps truth was that the system is wildly unfair. Yes even to white people.

We have to do something about the legality of misinformation as a society or things are just going to keep getting worse. One thing Iā€™m increasingly certain of is that truly free speech has to go. I know all the drawbacks having some level of censorship will bring, but just being able to tell lies with no consequences and call yourself news is causing even bigger issuesā€¦ as is the ability to megaphone straight no chaser propaganda on the internet.

2 Likes

Yes but occasionally in Russia people do speak up about things - with bad consequences but it happens. Thatā€™s what I want to know. What happens if a witness does come forward?

And donā€™t give me a vague answer like it gets swept under the rug. Sure, obviously. But is there a sham investigation at least? Is it still possible to at least get some media to report? Those are the details Iā€™m curious about.

In the US if we ever get to the point of killing people in public that obviously (Epstein could be a trial balloon) - weā€™re still going to be going through the motions of investigations and trials and tons of media about it - for a long long time.

IE - we arenā€™t just going to skip straight from where weā€™re at now to Russian level. It will be important to keep the sham of an impartial justice system and a media that does their jobs going for a long long time. Iā€™m curious what semblance, if any, of that is left in Russia - from their halcyon perestroika days - and even from before in the Soviet days when I assume local murders still had to be at least sham investigated, and paperwork filled out, even if everyone knew the KGB did it.

1 Like

Tuesday is the 50th anniversary of the May 2, 1967 ā€œinvasionā€ of the state Capitol by two dozen gun-toting Black Panthers. Carrying rifles, pistols and shotguns, and wearing dark glasses, leather jackets and berets, they marched up the front steps and into the Capitol to demonstrate their opposition to an anti-gun bill by Oakland Republican Don Mulford (1915-2000).

Reagan quickly signed the bill. He was quoted as saying ā€œThereā€™s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.ā€

1 Like

Saudi Arabiaā€™s stock market is crashing as they have had Covid cases soar in the last couple weeks. Seems like a strike against the argument that heat and sunshine will be some major deterrent.

But itā€™s a dry heat.

/suzzer

4 Likes

I donā€™t think the police shot anyone at those protests or even cracked any skulls like they routinely did at unarmed protests. Maybe one lesson is that people should bring guns to protests.

1 Like

I am torn on trying to model the impending 2nd wave and dealing with the stress of watching that number become a reality vs trying to be as ignorant as possible.

Narrator: he couldnā€™t help himself. He woke up at 4am with an equation in his head and had to the math.

11 Likes

Oil prices have actually rebounded some from the lows? If it was just oil prices wouldnā€™t that have been priced in weeks ago? I know, i know LOL efficient markets and all that.

Wealthy countries where a ton of people live and work in offices with A/C = major roadblock to the heat/humidity idea. Singapore is similar. Obviously the US will have similar problems and good luck getting people to shut off their AC if they wonā€™t even wear masks.

Thatā€™s one place the 1918 parable is no help - how does AC change the equation?

Also population density is always going to win out. But population density + cold still seems to be the worst where you get the near immediate tip over (NYC, China, Tehran, N. Italy, Russia).

Maybe spring is actually the sweet spot in the US where most of the country isnā€™t cranking the AC 24/7 yet, itā€™s generally moist, and people would rather be outside.

So many unknowns. The theory I have read that I like best is that humidity v dry air makes a difference because when your sinues dry out the nose becomes more vulnerable allowing the virus to enter the sinuses.

Of course I know nothing. I know that when I vacation to Vegas my sinues dry up something awful and it can be miserable. I seem to be much more acclaimeted to humid air. And there is the fact that Vegas never really had a bad our break at least not yet. So there is that.

One thing about Vegas might be that there are a lot of single occupancy households. I donā€™t know if that is true or not but I know that is one of the Swedish characteristics that could be one of the reasons their outbreak was not worse then it was.