COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Yeah I see this as confirming middle case scenarios. 0.5-1% IFR. No massive stealth spread. One trend that might be suppressing IFR here is that younger people have probably been more brazen going out in public or through their service jobs, while many olds probably locked down a ~week earlier voluntarily. So the antibody+ population might skew younger.

Now we need three things:

1. Antibody tests on this scale in every major metro area plus some rural areas.
  2. Demographic information on the test sample and the antibody+ population.
  3. Survey of people with antibodies. Clear questions asking about whether they were aware of the illness, whether they sought medical attention, whether they have full recovered, duration of symptoms, and if there are any lingering effects.
1 Like

Iā€™m happier than a pig in shit. This lockdown could go on for years as far as Iā€™m concerned. My life hasnā€™t changed much at all, other than the fact that I cant get a haircut. And the great thing is I donā€™t have to feel bad about it anymore, Iā€™m actually helping.

Like dont point a gun to my head and tell me to stay inside all day, work from home, and play video games. Youā€™re really pulling my arm here.

I am trying to get people around me to understand that our lives wont be normal until many months after thereā€™s a vaccine available. People arent coming to terms with this reality.

Meanwhile Iā€™m enjoying life quite a bit with this and dont feel bad about it at all. Iā€™m doing what Iā€™m supposed to, Iā€™m following guidelines.

14 Likes

The interesting impact on the economy will come from people realizing they were chasing consumerism out of boredom.

People finding out they can live comfortably while spending less money is not surprising. It will be interesting if that has any lasting effect on consumption.

6 Likes

If this happened the economic impact would be be many multiples more destructive than not being OPEN FOR BUSINESS. The flickering screen in our house is going to be pumping out the propaganda to trick us back into it and it will probably work.

1 Like

Right like it would be horrible for the economy if everyone who didnā€™t have $1000 saved for emergencies suddenly all saved that money at once.

Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about this. The immediate financial impact has been terrible in certain industries like hospitality and travel - but not much in others like software.

However - isnā€™t the whole damn economy driven by our need to work our asses for the fun things? Like whatā€™s the point of killing yourself if you canā€™t spend the money on fancy trips, fancy dinners, cars you can never drive, stuff for your house you can never show off to anyone, concerts and sporting events, etc. Whatā€™s left - fancy houses you canā€™t show off? Diamond rings for your spouse youā€™re trapped with? Save money so you can retire and do pretty much the same thing youā€™re doing now (for those of us working from home without a shitload to do)?

If those fun things were to go away forever, it seems like most of the fuel behind the economy goes away too. Obviously theyā€™re not going away forever. But even if they go away for a while - is the spell broken somewhat?

I know personally I just canā€™t even imagine caring as much about sports as I did a few months ago. Iā€™ve been watching the Chiefs postseason wins while on my exercise bike (I mean I still care some) - but seeing the crowd absolutely freak out kind of freaks me out. People in the stands are losing their fucking minds over basically a bunch of nonsense. Grown men playing a game. And that was me two months ago!

For the first time I think I have a glimpse into how insane that must all look to someone who doesnā€™t care at all about sports. Thatā€™s new.

6 Likes

Have you ever found a forehead thermometer that didnā€™t have a margin of error of like plus or minus 4 degrees though? Like Iā€™ll literally hold it up to my daughters head, get a reading of 96, hold it up a second time, get a reading of 100. I get that the expensive ones in the doctors offices work, but the crappy ones you can buy at CVS?

1 Like

My momā€™s cat died of respiratory problems, she thinks it might have caught COVID-19 from her :(

It was a very old cat, and overweight.

3 Likes

Stocks quickly cut gains after report says potential Gilead virus treatment flops in trial

I am sure some spending habits for some people will change when this is over. I think there are lots are people who are basically addicted to spending money on shit they donā€™t need. Now theyā€™re breaking the habit cold turkey.

we have like five at work and did an experiment on them yesterday. They all had my temperature at 97.2-97.4. Theyā€™re like seventy or a hundred dollars or something.

2 Likes

More details on the NY antibody results. Big racial disparity here. Some of that is driven by most of the non-white pop being in NYC, but other factors certainly at play. They havenā€™t released cross tabs of race and region.

Ours isnā€™t that bad, no, and it seldom seems to overestimate, even if it does seem to come in under if we didnā€™t hold it just right.

1 Like

Trying to stay more offline today.

Did just make a 20k hardship 401k withdrawal. Again will not hurt much long term as only 2-3% of portfolio depending on the day. But will be nice to be adequately liquid again. Hopefully donā€™t need it and can put it back. Or at last some of it.

Cliffs on AB studies in NY. Are they saying 10x???

F Mitch and Nicki. Nickis state gets 8:1 return and Mitchs state gets on the order of what NY net pays the feds.

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t think so either. But the spell might be broken a bit for some people for some things. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll go back to the insane level of Chiefs sports fandom I had. Maybe. Them winning the SB helps.

However the bigger question to me is then what is important in life? Because like many I assume, if this situation was permanent Iā€™d be suicidal. Seems like we kind of need our expensive diversions.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that. The article says it looks like pets that get it arenā€™t getting very sick, but makes sense high-risk kitties might not make it :(

Once again this thread is way ahead of the curve. We knew this thing wasnā€™t going to be a miracle drug from Willā€™s post and a few other sources.

Is hardship withdrawal some kind of official thing?

Iā€™m not sure this will change.

People are going cold turkey but are replacing one bad habit with another. Unless theyā€™re using this time to grow, theyā€™ll pick old faithful right back up once itā€™s available.

People are not good (thatā€™s not a dig) at manifesting their own options. We will seek out fun, exciting experiences with whatever is in front of us. If the experiences available outside the home end up being the same things we used to do, unfortunately we are picking from a menu we didnā€™t write.