COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

LabCorp just got a home swab test approved by the FDA.

Did you read the article in German posted upthread?

IDK if Iā€™m ponied here but LA County did a random antibody test of 863 people. Itā€™s not junk like the Santa Clara study because they recruited a representative sample chosen at random from a marketing database. They estimate that 4.1% of the adult population of the county have had the virus, which would mean an IFR there of only 0.2% on current death numbers. Two caveats: deaths will have been undercounted, as always, and theyā€™re claiming only 0.5% false positives on the antibody test. The results are going to be very sensitive to that number, even a couple percent higher than that would change things drastically.

2 Likes

Went to look at his page. He recently had Dan Creenshaw on lmao.

Get fucked Rogan. Shame that means dan is negative.

1 Like

Iā€™m already there, been there since mid-March. I really donā€™t gaf that the idiot Trumpkin who refuses to take any basic precautions is stuck living in a house with his wife and two 20-something failchildren with only 2-1/2 bathrooms during these trying times.

Oh gee, is not having a huge master bath suite cramping your style? Wow, I feel so super bad about that. Governorā€™s orders tho. Essential work only. Suck it up, buttercup.

3 Likes

I sent a letter off to Governor Newsom commending him for his work so far and imploring him not to cave in to demands to end this early.

4 Likes

California goating as usual. Truly impressive their deaths are as low as they are given the population.

I have no idea, honestly. Maybe someone else does?

:crossed_fingers: dat .1% to .2% fatality rate

1 Like

An informal coalition of influential conservative leaders and groups, some with close connections to the White House, has been quietly working to nurture protests and apply political and legal pressure to overturn state and local orders intended to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

The groups have tapped their networks to drive up turnout at recent rallies in state capitals, dispatched their lawyers to file lawsuits, and paid for polling and research to undercut the arguments behind restrictions that have closed businesses and limited the movement of most Americans.

You know, informal groups that share lawyers and polling organizations and political organizing structures. Just a group of wine moms getting together to watch The Bachelor.

1 Like

Still not random

Only 11.4% of tests in Cali came back positive and those are people who had symptoms and contact and met the criteria to actually get tested.

The general population in California is nowhere near as infected as that.

We arenā€™t 50x official case numbers and death rate is NOT below 0.5%

Period

2 Likes

Dan was on via skype or watevs, he wasnā€™t in studio

1 Like

Ha, I almost put in a caveat saying please donā€™t take this as saying Trump isnā€™t worse. Obv I donā€™t compare Franceā€™s president to the leader of some tinpot outfit!

2 Likes

This would lead credence to the idea that a milder strain could be more prevalent in CA.

But I seriously wonder about these antibody tests. None are FDA approved yet. How accurate are they right now?

Not just the US that the US wants opened back up.

Also, further to me having dissed the medical establishment for diagnosing a foot blemish a few weeks back, shockingly seems I was the idiot and not them.

1 Like

Up early, catching up.

AB tests: Is it validated? Heck, Even if I were to test positive for ABs on a validated test I would still socially distance at this point.

And again we have no idea how good those tests are. I am even suspicious about the validated tests until someone publishes a good study showing lack of cross reactivity with garden variety coronaviruses.

As far as IFR- no other country supports 0.1-0.2. The France study uses 0.5. Using shitty AB studies to try and fantasize about 0.1-0.2 is not supported. I too hope hope hope itā€™s that low but man those CFR death rates and my numbers gut just say no way. We will see long term.

Civil war or at least real unrest: Iā€™ve said this before. When itā€™s local- your local tv, radio, newpaper, names in your community, people you know, people you love then people will do whatever it takes to stop spread. Competent leadership standing out front helps a lot.

Once the middle class really starts to suffer economically then the pressure on Congress will be too great. Who is going to vote for the Congress critter that says FU to their constituents during this and vote against more direct $, mortgage holidays etc (Ya I know dead fetuses but a hell of an electoral risk to take)

Reminder I thinking giving everyone a big 6-10k that is fully taxable (up to 100%) is the best way. No paper to fill out until your taxes next year. Once you get to the top tax brackets just rake back another 25% every 100k or whatever. It is automatically means tested based on your 2020 earnings.

Deaths: Iā€™m still looking for a continuously updated total death vs expected deaths resource. Prefer state by state. Anyone?

Toes: Ok Cv that is fucking enough. You can eff my lungs, heart, brain, kidney, liver, gut but leave my piggies toes alone. (I am famous with under 3 set for my piggy toe rap. I also taught my nieces that up to age 5 they will grow back if uncle Dan gets hungry and eats them).

4 Likes

She probably got an HSPA+ phone too and went around bragging to her friends about how she had ā€œ4G.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™m so dumb that I thought they were circles highlighting the damaged bits. Not kidding.

2 Likes