COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Y’all may remember I told a story of working on the Covid floor. Admitted a patient on a Friday, went back Monday and he deteriorated on me and I had to send him to the ICU. That was about 3 weeks ago.

He was on a ventilator for 2 weeks… no help. Then he got a tracheostomy and a feeding tube.

I found out he died 2 days ago.

47 years old, wife and kids. Obese and uncontrolled diabetic, but still… far too young.

16 Likes

Oddest shortage I’m experiencing is tofu of all things. Every market is out. All my fellow vegetarians panicked and hoarded?

1 Like

Now that’s a good Darwin nominee. I think on the biggest asshole chart, though they seem stubbornly resistant to Covid. Boris got it but survived.

Hi Guys, been busy with stuff and I’ve kind of lost track, are we at Day 15 yet? All good?

4 Likes

Whatabout the flu and whatabout Malaria!?!?!? Amirite? Man, this whole thing turned out to be overblown and we all should have just calmed down back in February. You sure were super smart.

3 Likes

My niece graduates high school this year. She lives in a small town in Kansas. So what do you do? Have a shadow graduation pozz party thrown by your parents I guess:

2 Likes

Grunching

What trolley is talking about is essential this:

It’s really a form of the michaelis-menton equation for enzyme rate of reaction.

Another equation I use all the time. Basically bacteria grow as fast as the can (umax) until their limiting nutrient or substrate starts to run low. At that point the key utilization enzyme becomes less efficient because it is no longer saturated for its substrate. That equation describes the rate changes based on the amount of substrate and the “affinity or Ks” for the substrate. Different strains can have different Ks. If 2 strains are competing for Substrate then a faster growing will win initially. But if the other strain has more affinity (Ks) is lower it will win in the long term because it will not slow as early as the other strain. Oh the equations I wrote back in ‘04. I’m just a B.S. but it was doctoral thesis stuff.

I’lnnthis instance people are the substrate “S” and either herd immunity or social distancing is starving the virus of people to infect.

The problem is in that situation, as soon as we increase S by relaxing social distancing the curve can go back exponential. (Note: the curve will stay limited if herd immunity)

In a fermentor all the bacteria and substrate are well mixed and evenly proporational. Not true for people and Cv. One place may do a job of lowering S by social distancing, another by herd immunity (hi Sweden). The virus spreads across geography and the grows according to S.

PopulationDensity is also a complicating term in their somewhere. It is really part of S. The number of people each infected person can possible infect based on number of interactions

1 Like

lol i always forget states have flags

So given that, is there reason for optimism at all? The thread last I read it, two weeks ago, was basically apocalyptic.

Some governments’ gross negligence has turned it from something bad to something very bad.

You’ve repeatedly shown yourself throughout this thread to be a deplorable dickhead who’s panicking because he only cares about himself and his family and his lame ship cruises lol.

How’s your nuclear holocaust coming along, two-faced wanker? Was that from zerohedge too? :laughing:

jman is one of the very few people on this forum (and 2+2) that has changed his point of view over the years by accepting evidence and challenging his personal beliefs. He is far from a deplorable.

2 Likes

Sixty ventilators between 11m people

With barely 60 ventilators for 11 million people, Haiti is the most vulnerable nation in the Americas to coronavirus.

The reality inside Haiti’s intensive care units is even bleaker than that number - taken from a 2019 study - suggests. According to Stephan Dragon, a respiratory therapist in the capital, Port-au-Prince, the true number of ventilators is actually closer to 40, and maybe 20 of those are not working.

So far, this impoverished nation has only registered three deaths and 40 confirmed cases but many more cases may be going unreported, especially in remote areas.

It is 10 years since Haiti was hit by a devastating earthquake. More than 200,000 people died and a million people were left homeless.

USA#1 with 2x Navy ships infected (one whistleblower fired because he failed the cover-up), 1x Euro, 1x Asian. Quelle surprise mon amis?

Taiwan to test hundreds after navy cases

Taiwan has quarantined some 700 navy officers, servicemen and cadets for testing after 24 members of their mission tested positive for Covid-19.

Taiwan’s Health Minister, Chen Shih-chung, said 22 new daily cases had been confirmed, including 21 in the military.

The cases were found on one of three ships in a fleet that visited the small Pacific island of Palau last month, according to officials.

The mission returned on Wednesday to a ceremony where President Tsai Ing-wen was present but, according to her office, she only waved at the sailors from the shore.

The latest confirmed cases bring the total on the island to 420, with six deaths.

sure looks like it to me. A straight line in a log graph is exponential.

Most people I know think we need to stay home to wait it out, but that it will only take a couple of weeks to a month. I only know one other guy that seems to understand that this’ll be around for a couple of years minimum.

New wave of infections threatens to collapse Japan hospitals

Roughly 50% of total cases and 60% of all deaths happened in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area. They are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. On the other hand there are still 630k active cases nationwide and even if 99% of them recover the US is still looking at tripling their total deaths.

Not getting very good results from the countries trying ‘this one weird trick’ approach to viral containment.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1251894365506678785

All aboard the Thumper train…

1 Like