COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

[Bill Maher voice] Mmmmmmtherebubliganzzzz?

A 20% to 10-15% increase day over day still sucks when the numbers get big.

Homemade Philly cheesesteaks.

1 Like

Ro and especially the long latent period and mildly and non sick carriers. SARS was like flu in that it put people in bed.

I believe Ro was about 1.5 so with some isolation, seasonality and testing/tracing it died out.

Someone (me?) posted something up thread that had a summary of the more recent agents vs Covid19

Portion control. If I don’t cook it we don’t eat it.

Follow this guy. He does all the state by region for both deaths and cases. His table is the 5 day average increase. He usually posts 10-11pm eastern

Day to day is so noisy Friday through Tuesday. Tuesday to Friday not so bad.

https://twitter.com/isfbob/status/1249893091554689026?s=21

1 Like

SARS R0 was estimated at around 2.75 to 3 but R dropped to 0.4 after interventions. It’s really the asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spreading of COVID that make it such a bitch to control.

All of my video calls this week have been with Polo shirt on top, boxer shorts below. Just got to remember never to stand up.

4 Likes

Bonus! Let’s look on the bright side.

2 Likes

And apparently post-symptomatic as well.

I live in Philadelphia and they’re still doing construction to build a pool in my apartment complex. I guess the pool is essential…

Anyone know why MN showing 500+ deaths today on 1point3acres?

Hmm looks like a data entry error for Hennepin county

There are food deserts within the boundaries of the five boroughs of NYC?

Yikes. I have kids in Hennepin. That’s where I lived 2000-2012.

Absolutely. The South Bronx is still abysmal. Here is a recent analysis of the city a quick Google search found
https://medium.com/@olivialimone/mapping-food-deserts-and-swamps-in-manhattan-and-the-bronx-46c6d8fc0804

Just excerpting a bit from that Atlantic article I linked upthread:

Crucial medical drugs are also running out. According to a University of Minnesota analysis, about 40 percent of the 156 drugs that are essential parts of critical care are becoming limited. Many of these depend on supply chains that involve China (where the pandemic began), Italy (the hardest-hit region in Europe), or India (which halted several exports). These chains have been discharging their contents like a sputtering garden hose that has now begun to run dry. “The medium term is going to be particularly perilous,” said Nada Sanders, a professor of supply-chain management at Northeastern University. “Global demand is so high, and supply is so far behind, that it’s very hard to envision enough of a ramp-up.”

Albuterol, the drug used in asthma inhalers, is scarce. Antibiotics, which control the secondary bacterial infections that afflict COVID-19 patients, are being depleted. Basic painkillers and sedatives, which are needed to keep patients on ventilators, are being exhausted. Hydroxychloroquine, the drug that Trump has repeatedly touted as a COVID-19 treatment despite a lack of good evidence, is running out, to the detriment of people with lupus and arthritis who depend on it. “It’s like everything we give to patients, we’re in short supply of,” said Esther Choo, an emergency physician at Oregon Health and Science University. “We’re now scrambling to find the backup medications, and we’ll run out of those too.”

What happens if China starts to hoard these drugs? It feels like there’s potential for some serious international tension down the track a bit. The good news is that I’m sure the US federal government is well on top of this and gaming these scenarios out as we speak. If there are diplomatic issues with China I would imagine Jared Kushner himself would be put on the case.

4 Likes

It’s a food desert if you can’t afford anything other than a shitty burger at McDonald’s.

Details on location of death for NYC. There are an additional 8,184 deaths in NYC that they describe as not known to be confirmed or probable COVID deaths, but they may end up reclassifying some of those.

1 Like

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2006100

Iceland testing results summary:

• Tested 6% of population
  • Targeted testing: 9,199 people, 13.3% positive
  • Open-invitation testing: 10,797 people, 0.8% positive
  • Random testing: 2,283 people, 0.6% positive
  • In open-invitation and random testing, zero children under 10 tested positive.

Yikes.