Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m sure the practice the health care workers in Rio are putting in to apply face masks to patients quickly will be really effective in stopping this virus. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes

Unclear answer!

I kinda doubt it at this point but here’s hoping.

Concerns have been raised over the possible spread of the new coronavirus among hundreds of passengers who disembarked from a cruise ship in Cambodia on Friday, after one of them was confirmed to have the disease following a second test carried out in Malaysia.

Scores of passengers who left the MS Westerdam, which had been at sea for two weeks after leaving Hong Kong on 1 February, have travelled on to other destinations.

Rebecca Katz, director of the Centre for Global Health Science and Security at Georgetown University, said Cambodia made the best decision based on the information available at the time, when no cases had been confirmed, but she said diagnostic tests were not perfect.

“One, there are some questions about just how sensitive they are, but, two, it’s a matter of when you test. You might test somebody on day one and the test might say they are negative but by day 14 they will have developed the disease. There’s a lot of uncertainty around when you can test.”

She said it was hard to tell how many other people from the cruise ship might now be infected. “We don’t quite understand how disease is spreading on the ships, but it clearly is,” she added, pointing to the Diamond Princess where more than 350 people onboard are confirmed to have the disease in what is the biggest cluster of cases outside China .

i like to think of the cruise ship as an oil tanker, and the passengers as somali pirates, and the hiv ccr5 spike protein as that thermal lance james caan used in the movie Thief

5 Likes

No clue what this means but it’s amazing anyways.

It takes years for both BSE and CWD (and Kuru) to present themselves. And then it takes a year or so to off you.

In completely unrelated news, I’ve been listening to this podcast episode about the dancing plague, which is a fascinating thing I had never heard of before. LSD and/or witchcraft might be involved? It’s pretty wild.

http://thispodcastwillkillyou.com/2019/12/24/episode-40-dancing-plague-worst-dance-party-ever/

Ergot poisoning is a pretty reasonable theory for a lot of stuff like this in history where entire towns lose their mind.

Honestly that sounds pretty wild. Entire town tripping balls for days or weeks where they just keep routinely redosing on their ergot bread. Medieval burning man.

“During the evacuation process, after passengers had disembarked the ship and initiated transport to the airport, U.S. officials received notice that 14 passengers, who had been tested 2-3 days earlier, had tested positive for COVID-19,” the State Department and Department of Health and Human Services said in a joint statement, referring to the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

The 14 infected passengers were moved into a specialized containment area on the evacuation aircraft, where they were to be isolated and monitored. They had been found to be asymptomatic and “fit to fly” before the evacuation, according to the statement.

Fully 30 percent of the passengers on that cruise have now tested positive. That is a breathtaking penetration rate for such a short period of time most of which was spent ostensibly in “quarantine.” I don’t think I’ll ever cruise again, and I sure as shit won’t take my kids.

2 Likes

I’m seeing 12%. Still going to go up more though. Just gross negligence by whoever set up the quarantine procedures.

The real question us whether you will continue to post on cruisecritic

8 Likes

Yeah, you’re right, one of the articles had it as 355 out of like 1200 passengers total are infected, but the number of passengers is actually higher than that.

Between the Japanese person who caught the virus in Hawaii from unknown origins and then flew back to Japan, and the unknown number of people with the virus who were let off that cruise ship and then traveled to parts unknown, isn’t the idea of containing the virus a lost cause? Not that people shouldn’t be quarantined, etc, but it seems like the ship has largely sailed (pun intended).

Latest numbers for that cruise are 454 infected.

1 Like

Containing it is a lost cause. Slowing it down whenever there is a flare-up isn’t.

2 Likes

This seems like a very silly reason to avoid doing something you enjoy.

1 Like

jman could massively decrease his risk by not going on cruises during winter.

looks like the ex-China cases might be hitting the knee of the curve. Not good. Could have tens of thousands of cases in the next two weeks.