Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The short answer is no one knows - but if you take Corona virus as a passable example for what we see in the flu (assuming no vaccine, which we have for the flu) - the majority of the population may get infected, but only a smallish % get REALLY sick. Once they recover, they’re fine and no longer infectious - they’re immune. A lot of people are asymptomatic, or close to it - which is a problem because they’re not getting quarantined because they’re not obviously sick, even if they’re spreading the virus. People may have an indolent course - they don’t die fast enough or get sick enough before they have the chance to pass along whatever virus they are going to spread to another person.

And in proving then even Trump may be right about something, the flu (and probably half a dozen other respiratory virus infections) clearly are seasonal - and as dumb Donnie referenced Corona may drop off once we get out of winter and into spring. Why this happens I have no idea, but we’ll go months without seeing the flu/RSV/hand-foot-and-mouth patients, and they’re suddenly all over the place, and a couple of months later they’re gone until the next season. Note that Corona may elect to not play by those rules.

MM MD

I don’t and that’s pretty clear from my posts. That’s why I’m wondering why there’s a good chance, based on similar outbreaks, that this dies off without infecting a sizable population here.

SARS and MERS were effectively quarantined. Swine Flu went worldwide, but the mortality rate wasn’t that terrible.

I was thinking about this. It seems weird that it would die off seasonally. If it’s just temperature, well it’s a big planet with a lot of temperatures. But, “we have no idea” is a perfectly cromulent answer.

They go back to their natural reservoir, like SARS. Or it just never goes away like the flu.

This seems to be much more infectious than some of the ones that get quarantined and die off. Seems to me like there is a small chance we don’t get hit hard. I think the best hope is that this slows in the warmer months and we have a vaccine before next winter. But that seems overly optimistic based on what I’ve read.

What does that mean? Bats?

Like it’s so sensitive to the number of people with immunity or some other factor that a tiny change that’s hard to explain is enough to be the difference between pandemic and not?

Also - there’s no particular reason that I’m aware of that Corona, in another change, could to “decide” to not result in long-term immunity - RSV and croup hit kids repeatedly (although generally repeat episodes make the kids less sick.) Which is why they’re pushing so hard for a vaccine.

MM MD

1 Like

From what I understand about COVID-19, they are still not sure if people who have recovered have immunity.

I really doubt that. There’s probably bazillions of corona viruses like SARS/MERS out there in the wild that could bust out at any time.

Yeah. It’s endemic in bats.

This isn‘t about coronaviruses specifically but I assume a lot of this applies:

Cliffs: flu viruses typically stay infectious for less than 24h outside a host ( down to as little as 4h)

Like maybe the washing your hands and not touching your face is what makes the difference between this virus dying off (or going back to it’s natural reservoir) and pandemic.

Man thats fucking crazy though. Someone could cough on something and 4h later you touch it then touch your face and yous fucked.

My hands started drying out pretty badly because I was using hand sanitizer or washing my hands like 15 times a day. Had to get moisturizer :(

We could start by once and for all abolishing the practice of shaking hands.

5 Likes

This times a million.

3 Likes

Also a law mandating unlimited sick time for all employees of all companies with a doctor’s note would help as well.

2 Likes

edited because I didn’t realize you said unlimited sick time.

Yeah I’d have to think about that one.

We have that in Europe and people still go to work sick.

2 Likes

Hong Kong’s leading public health epidemiologist thinks uncontrolled it could affect around 2/3 of the world’s population.

Some of those won’t even know they’ve got it, like the German guy who was tested after coming into contact with an early carrier and was shocked to be found positive as all he’d experienced was a very mild sore throat that only lasted a day.