Coronavirus (COVID-19)

No fever yet but sore throat continues with a fury for the 4th straight day. I probably got the virus. I don’t really wash my hands and I bite my nails and pick my nose like all the time.

2 Likes

If Trump was president during 9/11 there would have been riots and mass attacks on Muslims.

Oh… I mean, not shaking hands or being mindful to wash/sanitize after doing so is a good idea. The most meaningful and reasonable thing we should do would be to create a culture that it was okay to stay home if you were sick, in fact, it was proper. To create a culture where it was wrong to go out unnecessarily when you’re sick. To create a society where people could afford to do that, and to create one in which we all had free healthcare to make sure people got treated.

Like that’s a great example of a way single payer and paying a living wage with reasonable sick leave can bring the cost of heatlhcare down. More people get treated for the flu, more people stay home and don’t spread it → we lower our R0 → fewer cases of the flu → fewer severe cases of the flu → save some $.

2 Likes

Netanyahu will speak in 20 minutes and the expectations are that all restaurants and cafes will be closed in Israel.

The point that people should be able to stay home when sick is really different than everything else and of course washing hands is good and it has always been good.

1 Like

I mean, washing your hands and being mindful of what you’re touching and maybe we should give everyone sick leave all seem like things we should normalize even when there isn’t a zoonotic disease floating around. I don’t see why anyone is objecting here.

And also we should cancel the NBA permanently.

3 Likes

Nah, I still think you got strep.

Take a deep breath and realize that you’re being a fucking asshole.

Stop giving out knee jerk panicky advice before youve even asked him his age and background medical condition. You are not a medic and should already know that most of the problems for people not in the at danger demographic will be caused by people panicking unnecessarily which we already see signs of in supermarket shortages.

9 Likes

With 16 confirmed cases in Mexico and no precautions being taken it seems like y’all are just a few weeks behind us and a month or so behind Italy. April is gonna be when everything closes in Mexico.

This is a really great point. As for the rest, I think it flirts with the line between worst case scenario with a more than 5% likelihood and extremely unlikely events. I don’t think we’re going to run out of food, so I think we’re going to be okay in that regard. Some people with guns will try to force their way into hospitals, probably, but that’s the worst likely scenario.

There may be one or two stories of crazy survivalist militias raiding stores or something, but I think those types are more likely to run off into the woods and shoot some deer and eat some prion disease.

Like ~twice as many people as need to die from this will die, but I think our governors and mayors are doing a pretty good job from what I’ve seen. I do think we’re flattening the curve meaningfully, it’s impossible to say whether we’re doing better or worse than Italy at that. I could argue it either way, there are a bunch of facts on either side that you can make a case it’s going to be better or worse than them. My gut says overall it won’t be quite as bad, but their experience is well within our likely range of outcomes.

I think things are most likely going to be back to a new normal in ~3 months. New normal is: no gatherings of 250+ til we get a vaccine, major precautions for old people with comorbidities, lots of hand washing and less hand shaking and stuff like that. We’ll be in a recession, maybe a really bad one and maybe even a depression, but we’ll have food and utilities and all that.

I don’t think your views on this are crazy or anything, but I think the odds of what you’re fearing are more in the 1-3% range. I know I’m very much a WAAF guy around here, so I’m hoping this is comforting to some extent.

Lol thought I was probably the only one.

2 Likes

Call a doctor is knee jerk panicky advice? FYI be aware it can get severe without a cough or fever is knee jerk panicky advice? Ask about getting tested and try to get one is knee jerk panicky advice? Gimme a break.

How bout stop throwing shade at us and tip toeing along the line of gleefully enjoying watching the fear and panic of the suffering that’s coming towards America, because most of us here aren’t the assholes voting for people fucking over the world, most of us give a shit, most of us try to make some change happen.

Your posting around here lately has not been a good look.

2 Likes

Just went to to the gym and did 3 miles on the bike in 9 minutes. Little hard to breath through my nose but felt fine through my mouth.

1 Like

She ded so u ghana need either a good Ouija board or the services of this guy:

why go to the gym right now?

??? It’s one floor above me. No one was in there and I wiped everything down.

1 Like

So much this.

p.s, Sorry Cuse

3 Likes

What a disappointment. After the intense build up of “almost more baffling than the illness itself…” I got all excited that she was gonna predict the hoarding of bog roll.

Just wanted to share something good from one of the local businesses here. These guys are amazing and are always doing things for the community. They decided last year that it was important that their staff have a day off to spend with family and made the decision to close on Sunday, even though it was their busiest day:

So…let’s talk about life at Eastside Big Tom, shall we…
We hired three new staff members, right as everything got funky…
We kept them, are training them, and they’ll kick butt just like the rest of the staff. Things will slow down for us, but there’s always cleaning to do…
For years we’ve consistently spent 400.00-500.00 each week on gloves, New hires are always in awe of the closet set up just for the cases of the gloves. (doesn’t everyone have a glove closet?). It’s extra impressive right now since I scored 80 some boxes of a bright purple in the XL that actually fit my chubby fingers…
This isn’t going to be any fun for some folks in the community. We’re in a position that we can weather this, but not everyone can. If you’re going out, don’t forget the other independently owned small businesses that make Olympia so unique…
Check in on your neighbors, please. I guarantee you that you’ve got somebody around you that isn’t able to get to the store for essentials, or got there too late, and the shelves were empty. Lend a hand, if you’re able, be mindful of current guidelines for safety, and remember that ultimately we’re all in this together…
With that in mind, we found one of our wholesale suppliers still had hundreds of cases of toilet paper, and bottled water. We didn’t take it all, but did grab up 1,600 rolls of of 2 ply TP, and 50 cases of water. We left some for other people to buy. (as one should)…
As things get funkier, there will be people in need. We’re here to help. We’ll be giving the TP away in 6 packs, and water by the case. We’ll work out details today and tomorrow (Saturday & Sunday), and announce how it’s going to get distributed. Check on those around you, see who’s in need, and with your help, we’ll do what we can…
We love you Olympia. You’ve had our backs for five decades and counting now, we’ll do our part to have yours…
Michael & Brenda…
PS: It’s cold out again, and we’re still giving away free hot chocolate at the ice cream / walk up order windows.

6 Likes