Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Dow futures are up over 150 and S&P 500 up about 20.

thats baffling

The death toll from a coronavirus epidemic in China rose to 361 and Chinese stock and commodity markets fell heavily on Monday as investors retreated into safe-haven assets in the first trading session after an extended Lunar New Year break.

The Shanghai Composite index shed 8% to hit one-year low on Monday, wiping almost $370 billion off the market value, according to Reuters calculations.

Aus stocks only down 1.35% today (it’s 2pm Eastern).

EP0QbLKVAAUiTQm

2 Likes

Most of it probably priced into the big drop on Friday for US stocks.

Just got off a meeting where my company started doing our pandemic response planning.

If everyone is doing this (And they should be) this is gonna be huge, just from a disruption point of view

I agree this has the potential to seriously impact global markets negatively. I was just suggesting one reason why US futures could be up right now while the Chinese markets were getting hammered.

But lots of people still think this is no big deal. Stuff like this all over…

z3r0c00l

Well. Fuck. That article is terrifying.

Shookness level increasing.

I had a long and extremely nerdy conversation with my mom about the state of the corona virus. Her shook level is still extremely low, in part because it doesn’t seem to be multisystemic and it is not the flu. She was also really impressed with the science of the movie Contagion and its emphasis on not touching your face and not shaking hands after you’ve slaughtered a pig.

Also, pro tip for those of you living in the Midwest or the East coast: stop eating venison right now. There is a deer prion disease raging across America which somehow I had never heard of. The deer that hunters shoot are most likely to be the sick ones, and no amount of salting or smoking or cooking your meat will stop a prion disease. Do not eat deer jerky your co-worker is selling, that shit might rot your brain out. Shit’s nasty.

If you are on team We Are All Fucked, there is some good news for you. Quarantine protocols are largely a best-guess affair since no one really knows what the incubation period is or how long people are contagions. Checking people’s body temperature at borders is a real crapshoot since some people are extreme outliers and have naturally low body temperatures and therefore might not trigger any warnings if they are feverish.

Uhhh, this seems like it could be bad. Don’t eat venison, y’all:

Chronic wasting disease or CWD, also caused by prions, has reached the point of a global epidemic among deer, elk and members of the deer family. The latest estimates show 26 states and three Canadian provinces have reported the disease in animals on farms and those who are free-ranging.

“Ultimately, we want to understand whether or not human beings exposed to CWD prions will contract a new form of human prion disease,” Telling said. “We still don’t understand the potential for prions to transmit disease from one species to another.”

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this 1 day after I had another super delicious meal of chicken fried venison.

Oh fuck it. I this is how I go, I’m ok with it. Cause of death: A meal he really enjoyed.

6 Likes

The good news is that no one’s proven that people are getting sick from Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). The bad news is that it seems to be impossible to distinguish CWD from sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). Anyway, stop eating venison, y’all.

Although prion disease has been demonstrated in at least 27 hunters or their family members, as a group these cases were heterogeneous in terms of the clinical and pathological phenotypes, the PrP genotype, and the PrPSc subtype (15).3 Furthermore, the “hunter” cases appeared to fit rather well in the known subtypes of human prion disease (16). However, the phenotype of the human prion disease that might be acquired from CWD is not known; it might mimic any of the subtypes of sporadic CJD, making the detection of this hypothetical “CWD-acquired CJD” difficult.

So something really interesting for somebody with a respiratory flu that also uses a cpap machine.

You

Cant

Fucking

Sleep.

Im getting no more than 45 minutes at a time before my cough starts again and im awake. I can sit here for two hours without a single cough but the second I strap the mask on and close my eyes, ive got a timer strapped to my face until I wake up 45 minutes later.

I might die

2 Likes

It’s terrifying for the implications for Wuhan, where the government was far too slow in imposing a lock-down, but there’s no reason yet to think that other cites/countries will be similarly affected.

It’s possible the real problems for others may be food shortages etc.

Guess whos awake again.

Like fucking clockwork baby

Nut check

Nut check

2 Likes

So that was the worst night of my life. In addition to only sleeping at most 40 minutes at a time, I also was having fever dreams where I had to discover the combination to keep me from coughing again, and of course I failed every time. Over and over, 40 minutes at a time for 10 hours.

I feel like my head is splitting apart at the seams.

1 Like

Seems like just going without the CPAP until the worst of it passes might be the best bet? (I guess depending in how severe your sleep apnea problem is.)