Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My boss says expect this for 2 months minimum - based on China. But they really haven’t opened places up again yet so who knows.

2 months is too much, IMO. You can’t stop the virus, you can only hope to contain it.

1 Like

So apparently it really was Gobert that caused all sports everywhere to have to cancel. Good job dipshit. Why It Only Took One Player With Coronavirus To Shutter Sports | FiveThirtyEight

If you see them in person frequently, a good punch to the chin should work

1 Like
  • a day or two earlier than it would have happened anyway

There’a two things going on, though. There’s the funding, but also dismantling the pandemic response ppl in the executive.

1 Like

Can you imagine if we had someone in charge who used a private email server? The humanity!

Wife is a professor at an HBCU, school just kicked students off campus and made classes all taught online…but demands professors do so from campus still. Which is, uhhhh, strange?

Is it possible to microwave or heat take out food to the point where it’s safe in case someone infected made it? If so how long would you need to heat it up?

I’m fucking craving a burrito so bad.

1 Like

It’s definitely ok. Microwave or Oven will both destroy viruses.

Trying to find specific amount of time and temperature but not finding anything.

I’m pretty sure if you throw it in the oven until it’s like hot and steaming you’re fine, but if you want to get crazy and use an internal thermometer, 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

2 Likes

So here’s my shopping mini trip report.

Of note, I live in Trumplandia, which worked in my favor, for the most part.

First stop, CVS. Completely out of TP, hand sanitizer, and stuff to make hand sanitizer. Also out of hydrogen peroxide and bleach. I did manage to grab 4 boxes of kleenex, several packages of makeup removing wipes and hand lotion.

second stop, Mexican store. Unfortunately, they have a tiny parking lot and it was full, so I decided I’d come back later.

Third stop, Stater Bros, which is a local CA grocery chain. As predicted, the place was a madhouse, but apparently people in Trumplandia are boring and uncreative, with priorities all out of whack.

Exhibit A, the ramen shelf. Looking sparse, but behind me was a full shelf of real pasta. Grabed several boxes of spaghetti.

Exhibit B, the cookies and crackers aisle. Come on people, time to look up recipes that use this stuff in creative ways.

Exhibit C, the kicker. Empty toilet paper/papertowel shelves. Look closely at the left foreground though…tons of boxes of kleenex!

Finally: be nice to the grocery store workers. They are having a rough week. My cashier was almost in tears because of a rude guy in front of me, so I bought her some chocolate.

Highlight of the trip, some typical Trumpster type screaming at all of the people in line, calling us fucking sheep.

I survived, and now I’m drinking. I got plenty of staples and dry goods that other people passed up. also of note: the cold and flu medication was nowhere near sold out, and I bought a couple of bottles of toilet bowl cleaner with bleach, since that will clean anything in a pinch.

14 Likes

So, about that super awesome website that Google is supposed to build… looks like it’s going to be limited to the Bay Area for now. Guess the rest of the country really should learn to code.

Ugh new cdc guidance came out concerning people visiting family in the hospital. None, zero, zilch anywhere in the hospital or clinics unless it is for a end of life visit. I’m not even sure it is a safer option tbh. The extra stress on patients and families is going to be extreme in some cases.

Mind the packaging/bag it comes in.

1 Like

Third panic buy: a pump sprayer thing. Add my newly acquired bleach and can disinfect like a boss.

Also bidet like a boss.

3 Likes

Just got back from Trader Joe’s. A lot crazier than the fully stocked Albertson’s. Freezer aisles empty. Bread aisle empty. Canned aisle looking sparse. I saw people with fear in their eyes for the first time. Glad to be home and hermetically sealed for one last quiet afternoon until the whole family is home for at least 3 weeks.

2 Likes

It must be nice to work from home. I’m classified as an essential employee, I don’t think there’s any scenario where I’d be able to work from home, FML.

1 Like

I’m not sure “nice” is the word I would use to describe what’s to come, but yes, I don’t envy those who have to face an increased risk of exposure.