Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Indianapolis just shutdown all schools and events larger than 250 people. People are finally waking up here.

https://twitter.com/bellabee13/status/1237958981966061569

16 Likes

Given how Trump has utterly fucked up the response to this, he may finally get Mexico to pay for that wall. 4D Chessmate libs.

8 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/u-s-coronavirus-response-was-marked-by-overconfidence-delays

With the number of cases in the U.S. now in four figures, public-health experts have harsh criticism for how the White House has responded. “This is an unmitigated disaster that the administration has brought upon the population, and I don’t say this lightly,” says Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “We have had a much worse response than Iran, than Italy, than China and South Korea.” Financial executives are just as concerned: “Where is the U.S. leadership, which was one of the defining features of the crisis in 2008?” BlackRock Inc. Vice Chairman Philipp Hildebrand said on Bloomberg TV on March 10.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of my Kindle.

3 Likes

Well, gonna be fun times ahead here.

8 Likes

At her home in The Villages, a sprawling central Florida retirement community that overlaps three counties, Alicia Przybylowicz still greets neighbors with a big smile and an outstretched hand. “I’m a hand-shaker. I think I will always be a hand-shaker and a hugger,” the 64-year-old said. Worries about the coronavirus aren’t going to stop that. “It seems that it’s been blown out of proportion.”

Not far away, at a house in the same community, Judy Nieman, 66, said that attitude is alarming. “We don’t know how this is going to spread in this community,” she said. “We’re all older here. This place is full of people who go on cruises all the time. They go on safaris. And I don’t see them curtailing their activities as much as I would.”

I was going to make a joke about how some Bernie Bro gets the coronavirus and just goes around The Village’s golf courses caddying and shaking hands as some kind of typhoid Mary, but I thought that wishing ill on the elderly was in poor taste, but I guess they’ll do it themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/03/12/older-americans-coronavirus/

6 Likes

Be so glad you’re doing this the right way.

Although I really do wonder what happens when your country goes back to “normal” if hardly anyone gets infected the first time.

I guess we’ll know if China opens up Hubei and has to shut down Beijing in a month.

Of course

9 Likes

Our clients are almost exclusively boomers and I’ve stopped shaking hands as of last week. Almost all of them chastise me and act like I’m crazy but they’re the ones who mainly benefit from my restraint.

1 Like

Viruses don’t live long on hot food. I’m not sitting down for a 3 course meal but I’m not freaking out about take out. Also there have still been almost no community spread cases near me. I know when the first one hits it will mean hundreds are out there. But even hundreds is pretty good odds for LA. It’s 1000s and more than I’ll probably get a lot more careful.

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1238155019917996038

2 Likes

Now 95 cases in NYC, over 300 cases in the state

10 Likes

In 1918 they just sent them to the coal mines.

1 Like

Can’t let the terrorists win ya know

I’m rehabbing a hammy so really limited tennis for me. I have the ok for I step and swing for now. I may continue to hit with 1 buddy if we can agree to- keep hands off our faces— and just throw the balls away when done and sanitize ourselves and racquets when done.

I captain a USTA travel team. No word from them yet. season starts after Easter.

Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Paper companies. Kimberly Clark etc

The head virologist of Berlin‘s biggest hospital was on the radio earlier today saying that the quick tests don‘t test for the virus but for antibodies which will only show Ionian sufficient number after more than a week of having been infected