Coronavirus (COVID-19)

THIS is the problem. Most people will become outbreak monkeys and accidentally kill their grandparents.

Virus probably developed by China to solve the housing crisis.

I’m torn in multiple directions b cause I feel like people are overreacting but normally people underreact so maybe some overreaction is good?

Like, you shouldn’t need the WHO to declare a global emergency to know not to take your germy ass (viral ass) around the old folks! The “common cold” is a coronavirus but they die from that all the time.

But people are stupid and take huge risks especially when young if the alternative is being ostracised.

Few will reply “No I’m afraid to go out in case I infect someone” when asked to go shopping or whatever with friends. That pressure has to come from governments via public health campaigns at the very least.

1 Like

Seems dubious. I mean, the flu doesn’t make people just drop dead right in the street.

OR DOES IT

4 Likes

I’m torn because the old folks are the ones that keep the R’s in power, but a global pandemic is bad.

3 Likes

jesus christ

Did you think that post was serious? It wasn’t.

I swear it’s like people have forgotten everything they’ve learned about the flu, despite the fact that’s everyone’s had it at some point and we’ve all seen that documentary Contagion.

Sad!

1 Like

dumb question, probably but the people that have been infected - are they getting better? how is it different than getting the flu?

So far the mortality rate is far greater than the flu and it’s also possible this will spread more easily since there is no vaccine and not clear how much innate resistance people have against this virus (i.e. if people have ever been infected with something similar that might allow their immune system to respond more quickly). That said the base case seems rather mild compared to a typical influenza infection, closer to a common cold, except more people are dying from this than the common cold.

According to this, ArcGIS Dashboards

There are still more that have died than are considered recovered.

I think I found the worlds most irresponsible article. Found this linked on Bogleheads as proof that people are a bunch of chicken littles.

https://www.ccn.com/relax-coronavirus-is-less-dangerous-than-the-flu-says-epidemic-expert/

No idea how they come up with 7%, but isn’t it well established that the mortality rate for the common flu is about .2 percent?

Dont want people to panic and effect the market.

1 Like

Maybe.

Dow down 500 now but it’s bounced back every day so far in the afternoon. I have a feeling headed into the weekend and the uncertainty of what might happen over the next 2 or 3 days, it might instead really tank over the last few hours today. (Since I’m almost always completely wrong it will likely recover and end up positive.)

1 Like

AFAIK mortality rate for influenza is highly dependent on strain, ranging from like 0.02% to like 50%+. But since they clearly specify “US” and “currently”, yes, this is highly incorrect. CDC estimates the current mortality around 0.1% if my math is correct.

But I’m not going to argue with flu being a more pressing concern for Americans than coronavirus.

15 million people have gotten the flu so far in the US. They sure are doing a great job keeping the million deaths under wraps.

I think 8,000 people died so far so that’s a mortality rate of 0.05%.

1 Like

.01-.02 percent. You’re off by a factor of ten.

1 Like