Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m personally stuck. We are both self employed and my business is down because my clients have stopped travel (even no visitor rules) and are doing less work so less data for me.

My wife’s clients are in downtown Philly which makes a train trip. She’s washing her hands a lot but It’s very less than ideal. I just ran an errand and kept care not to touch anything unnecessary but saw lots of people not taking any care.

The Czech government knows now that containment has been broken, there’s no stopping coronavirus here. At this point, it’s about slowing down the spread of it so that healthcare facilities don’t get overburdened.

2 Likes

Yeah I know, we need to use drastic measures to slow the initial spread and not overwhelm hospital resources.

My question is can those even be lifted before the vaccine is ready?

It’s not an all or nothing thing. You can lift them gradually and see how things go.

Can’t speak for America, but it will depend on what happens here during this month in the CR. If the number of cases levels and people start recovering, then that’ll be a good thing.

The fact that they haven’t expanded their quarantine to all returning travelers here is a problem imo. The school I work at planned to keep the students who came back from Israel yesterday out of school for the week to protect the rest of us but obviously that’s a moot point now that school’s out. Thing is that given the amount of cases in places like the US where tons of people travel to/from every day, there probably should have been heavier travel restrictions here.

Vaccines aren’t coming for at least a year.

A cycle of lift/re-lockdown could get really nasty. But so could perpetual lockdown obviously.

6 new cases in NYC, for a total of 25

Regardless of how you slice the data, a significant number of Americans are paycheck-to-paycheck and depend on regular work to make ends meet. A lockdown would utterly destroy many families and households.

I’ll drastically oversimplify things to make a point that I assume most already agree with:
Compared to CBO projections the 2017 tax cut reduced 2018 federal tax revenue by ~$275B. I have no clue how much of that money went directly into the pockets of the rich through personal or corporate tax reductions and resulting buybacks, but I assume it’s a significant number. Imagine if that money was available to support working families through an emergency lockdown.

5 Likes

We got out first confirmed cases in beautiful Iowa yesterday, three I believe. In our biggest college town. Either the biggest or second biggest hospital system in the state as well. Interesting times.

Yeah I feel real bad for people living in America now.

Even if you’re young, getting this could still be destructive if you happen to live in America. Sure it’ll be no different than the flu for you but try paying your bills without any sick leave or fixed salary. Makes me wonder what’s going with my family in America. Should probably call them tonight.

Trump is so goddamned focused on having that number of cases appear low to make himself look good that he’s dooming the poor and those without health insurance. Of course, this will lead to that number being way higher in the long run. Eventually, people with coronavirus in America will travel abroad and take it to places who are trying to fight off their own coronavirus outbreak and fuck them up too.

Its too maudlin to wager on but I’ll put my over under of Italy type shut down when deaths get over 200 or 1 famous person dies, especially if not someone highly vulnerable. Then the sports leagues etc will shut down or all play in empty stadiums (which if I was the players union I would fight).

I don’t think the US can do what China did but that people will do it themselves at about 500 deaths.

Again Trolly- what’s your tipping point? Clearly we aren’t there yet. If I was czar I’d pull the trigger now. My guess as a society is above.

The preferred nomenclature is 1918 Influenza. Bad!

The drastic measures don’t stop the spread, they just slow it down and lower the peak, so I think they can be lifted when you think you’ve passed the point where you think you have the maximum number of current cases. Or maybe when you think you’ve had enough time to prepare the resources needed to deal with the infection peak.

Or, if you have weak-willed political leadership, any restrictions might be lifted when they can’t take it anymore. Like, say, if you had a president who felt it was more important to feed the perception that the economy was strong.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1237164989418528775

So here’s the new lie that’s going around.

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/1237363787990290432

1 Like

But what does shut down look like in the United States? Like how do we actually do it? All businesses stop? Restaurants close? One person per household allowed to go out for food? How will that ever work in this country?? We can’t shutdown.

This is so true. On day 1 of the lockdown everyone will try to order pizza for delivery.

3 Likes

Serious question, what does it look like in Italy? How do people who haven’t stocked up get food? What do you do if you need toilet paper?

I assume China is different because of an authoritarian regime, but same questions apply.

Not sure what you mean here. The main point im making is that comparing this to the 1918 flu is misguided.

Even China allowed people out for food but there were restrictions on that too (though they likely varied by province).