Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Florida Man got it

2 Likes

I think this is something I do. Summer is harvest time so I preserve etc as much as I can from my garden so I get to enjoy my gardens bounty all year round. Even though I live somewhere I can do some gardening in winter and I am not necessarily needing to survive on my peach relish it makes me feel good getting it out and having a little on a cold winters day. It reminds me that Spring isn’t too far off.

1 Like

Probably something like South Korea is doing. Push alerts to cellphones that link to a website providing info on where the person traveled + ability to test large numbers of people (SK is going through tens of thousands of tests, even opened up drive thru testing centers).

/Thread

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1232672826915610624?s=19

Stocking up on canned goods is probably going to be a regular thing for me from here on out. Honestly, I go through canned tomatoes and rice and pea soup on a regular basis, why not keep a huge stockpile of them in a closet somewhere?

3 Likes

Agree. I just got lazy about shopping because I lived on top of a train station with a supermarket, food court and 24h medical centre. Now slowly getting prepared better for any issue even though the new place is at most a 5 minute walk from all essentials needed.

Good news, we are in the process of correcting this.

12 Likes

I remember when we used to laugh at the right wing doomsday prepper nutters stockpiling shit because Obama was going to bring about the downfall of society.

I’d love it if we were as wrong as them, but the problem is we’re a hell of a lot more informed.

These assholes stockpiled guns, food, water, etc to prep for the Obama doomsday scenario, then elected Trump, who then pushed the doomsday button so many times we thought maybe the button was disconnected but it wasn’t, and now that a real threat is finally here, they think everything is 100% fine. They’re probably the ones selling the masks and shit on eBay.

1 Like

Yeah. I figure its actually cheaper to buy in bulk with these things, So it’s all upside.

Things appear to be slowing up in China compared to before.

Seems like this thing is gonna wear itself out eventually.

It’s slowing in China because well over half a billion people are under at least partial lockdown. 50 million under total lockdown in Hubei and the rest under this system:

Many cities have utilized a monitoring scheme in which large neighborhoods are broken down into smaller gridlike units responsible for enforcing regulations. The method traces back to the way social order was maintained in Imperial China.

Community officials — a mix of paid employees and volunteers, mostly retirees — tightly monitor activity such as going out or visiting other residential complexes. They can call the local police for backup if anyone refuses to cooperate with temperature checks or quarantine orders.

These officials, known as grid workers, are supposed to screen each person’s temperature as they enter the complex — echoing the rules in Wuhan — and note whether they’ve recently left the city. Some neighborhoods have even distributed permits to residents so that only those who live there can get in.

There are 300,000 of these grid workers in single provinces.

My boss just sent out an email giving us the ok to WFH. Should I do it? I was planning to wait for schools to close down. Also feeling peer pressure if others go in and i’m the only one that doesn’t. I commute via packed train every morning.

Where do you live?

Seattle

Oh hell yes work from home.

4 Likes

You are going to feel real dumb if you go to work and catch this thing if you had the choice to work from home. Why risk it?

1 Like

Not only are you at risk of one of the people on the train having it and coughing or whatever, everyone who touched a surface that you touch on that train in the last 2-9 days could give it to you that way.

1 Like

This was the post you went too far and convinced me you are a troll and not a normal poster.

If you have space then you should. Apart from anything else, it’s obviously economic to take advantage of special offers and buy non-perishables in bulk when you can. We have a ridiculous number of toothpaste tubes and other special offer items like tinned fish, tomatoes, rice, pasta and bog rolls that make our small storage room look like someone’s corner shop. In fact, that’s what we call it.

2 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0688-y.pdf

Our results show that, despite all of them being classified as the
same virus species, most lineage B betacoronaviruses do not use
currently known coronavirus receptors (Figs. 1e and 3a,b). We did
not observe any pseudotype entry in the presence of protease and
the absence of receptor, suggesting that lineage B cell entry is still
receptor dependent following protease treatment (Fig. 3b). While
our study was ongoing, a lineage B betacoronavirus was identified
as the etiological agent behind an outbreak of pneumonia in
Wuhan, Hubei, China (SARS-CoV-2). The RBD for SARS-CoV-2
has residues and motifs found in all three clades but forms a distinct
clade, so we tested it for receptor usage and observed entry of
human ACE2 but not other known coronavirus receptors (Fig. 3d).
Interestingly, within the backbone of SARS-CoV spike, cell entry of
SARS-CoV-2 was similar to the other clade 1 spikes tested, including
SARS-CoV. These findings suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is capable
of using human ACE2 as efficiently, if not more, as SARS-CoV,
which may help to explain the human-to-human transmissibility
of this virus. Our finding that SARS-CoV-2 uses human ACE2 has
now been confirmed with the full virus and a computer modelling based
approach.

Coronaviruses frequently undergo recombination, gaining large swaths of genetic material at once. Taken together with our data, it is possible that recombination with a clade 1 virus will impart compatibility with human ACE2. Interestingly, the SARS-CoV-2 RBD contains most of the contact points with human ACE2 that are found in clade 1, as well as some amino acid variations that are unique to clades 2 and 3 (Extended Data Fig. 4b). Taken together with our receptor assay results, it may be possible that SARS-CoV-2 arose from recombination between clade 1 and the other clades.