Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I live in Portland Or and was curious how long it was going to take to get here from California. I expected the Oregon case to be southern Oregon. Looked up Washington county to find out that’s where I’ve been working for the past three months. I work at a massive arcade. I’m moving from Portland to Washington county tomorrow.

I apparently have a decent shot at getting this soon. I’ll start an AMA about what everyone can expect in the near future.

1 Like

Couple shifts back we had a lady who fell face down in her kitchen and stayed that way for twelve hours or so. Her eyes looked identical to that when we got her up.

I’m no expert but this doesn’t sound right to me.

I get your point that a very high mortality rate kills the hosts thereby reducing transmission.

However, with something like this that incubates for days or even a couple weeks, where the host is contagious could also have a very high mortality rate once the symptoms manifest.

Wouldn’t that be the worst case scenario?

Slow incubation, contagious during this time, and high mortality is the deadliest combo.

1. Any time you are spending incubated in hospital is time you could be better spending walking around coughing on people.

2. The virus strains that knock people out are the ones that are gonna have all their contacts traced and quarantined.

Version that stays mild is gonna spread faster and more successfully.

Right but isn’t the deal with this one that you can be infectious but asymptomatic for some time so wouldn’t be in a hospital?

I think the reason the other viruses didn’t spread that much is more that it took people out quickly. They got sick fast, and they died fast. What Clovis is hinting at is a virus that still has a long incubation period where people are still infectious, where they only slowly start getting sick enough to consider going to the hospital, but ended with a much higher death rate.

I mean yeah SARS didn’t spread because people went from infected to dead in like a week. But if they went from infected to dead over 1 to 2 months then yeah we’d be super fucked.

I dunno I feel like we need an expert to chime in lol, but I’m not buying that this is literally as deadly of a virus as is possible for us to get.

I hope one of the more expert people weighs in here too.

I suspect there is some intersection between the plotted curve of incubation time and fatality rate where a virus is most deadly. No idea where any of the viruses discussed itt would fit on such a curve though.

The point is that there’s selective pressure for the virus to be milder. All other things being equal.

2 weeks asymptomatic then a mild illness beats 2 weeks asymptomatic then hospital/death

Even if you’re extremely infectious for those two weeks in both cases?

Well. I’m guessing. But yeah.

Option 1. Two weeks of infecting people. Followed by another two weeks of infecting then survival

Option 2. Two weeks of infecting. Followed by isolation in hospital and all your contacts being traced so they will spread less.

The goal from the perspective of the pathogen isn’t to kill its host.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1233568596024025088?s=21

The pathogen doesn’t have a goal

1 Like

The pathogen’s goal is to lower corporate taxes.

23 Likes

Well then somebody better tell the virus that winners never quit; and quitters never win.

Can you own a pathogen?

I own a cat named pathogen.

6 Likes

In 2020 pathogen owns you.

suzzer gonna be mad @ the thread

2 Likes

If there was even a more appropriate time to use pwned, I don’t know when it was.

1 Like

Nobody owns a cat