Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Ya, I know you’re a fellow buy and hold guy. Was just saying my inclination would be bonds before shorting. Wouldn’t hurt so bad if you’re way wrong, and could still make a killing if you’re right. I think medium to long treasuries and avoid corporate.

Well, my advice of 30 year treasuries could hurt really fucking bad if it goes the other way. Shorting broad stock indexes, buying 30 year treasuries, and shorting airline stocks are all pretty risky in my book.

7 Likes

Buying 30 year treasuries seems to me tons less risky than shorting anything. But again, I suck at this so I just robotically put money in at my allocation and leave it alone until I hit my rebalancing bands.

Re-watched that a while back, was thinking that the digital camera it was shot with was actually terribly unimpressive. Distractingly noticeable frame-smearing and stuff. There was also a shot of some wind generators that looked like forced perspective or tilt-shifting or something, no idea what was going on there.

Probably less risky than shorting things but still pretty risky. This is an ETF of 20 and 30 year treasuries since like 2003, just 30 years would be more volatile.

Ironically that makes long treasuries even better to pair with stocks as a hedge than something like the total market bond funds, which contain like 30% corporate bonds (which act like stocks in panics). Government bonds are anti-correlated with equities in general and particularly in panics, and the more volitile the bonds the better the hedge. And unless the yield curve inverts they’re higher yield to boot!

Anyway, not the thread for this, sorry.

I hope everyone and everyone’s family remains safe and healthy.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1221566280211234817?s=21

2 Likes

@JohnnyTruant

Stay safe bro and I hope all is well with all yours :v:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure those masks are to prevent the wearer from spreading germs and don’t do anything to prevent getting sick, FWIW.

2 Likes

“Video game company urges players to avoid Plague Inc. game for information on coronavirus”

That sounds exactly like the fake news headlines in Plague Inc.

5 Likes

Let’s all move to Madagascar

With the recent outbreak, images from across the world show people wearing masks to ward off illness when traveling. However, wearing a mask is not a practice the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for preventing infection in healthy travelers.

There is little benefit to wearing a surgical type mask, and may even put you at greater risk for spreading infection, infectious disease doctors told ABC News.

1 Like

From what I can tell. Frequent handwashing. Avoid touching your face. Keep your distance from others.

These seem to be the three most effective.

1 Like

Chill. It’s easy to get things out iof perspective and the chances of you or a family member dying of this are very very small. You should probably all focus more on taking care how you cross the road.

2 Likes

:v: @Bestof

1 Like

Holy shit, you arent wrong. Be careful man. Wash and rewash

1 Like

A one in a hundred chance of you and anyone you know dying is not how I understand “You will probably be fine”.

My parents just came back from an event I’m Vegas today and they’re supposed to watch my son all week since his normal sitter is on vacation. The timing scares me. Not to mention the fact that I started watching Pandemic on Netflix like a week ago. Every day I’m more and more on team “simulation confirmed.”

1 Like