Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m age 56, and I’m tentatively planning to retire at age 60. Before the end of last year my portfolio was 80% US stocks, 10% Foreign and 10% bonds, at which time I shifted to 40% US, 25% foreign, and 35% bonds.

I am resisting any urges to make changes at this time due to Coronavirus.

1 Like

And also to being in the wrong thread.

1 Like

There is some finance discussion, including regarding COVID, here:

I think it’s best to move the finance stuff there, as it bogs down this thread a bit. This thread is for news, I-told-you-sos, and the-sky-is-falling only, please.

3 Likes

There has been talk in both this thread and Personal Finance about the stock market. A mod can move this post if necessary.

Mods, can we excise this to the Personal Finance thread so I don’t have to feel bad about continuing the derail?

1 Like

This is what Trump does to us.

This thread is about a virus that may kill in the range of 9M people globally and half the talk is about the stock market.

4 Likes

I mean what else is there to say about this virus?

There’s so little that’s known at this point. We know it’s contagious and it’s killing people. The rest is just waiting for science to respond to the questions we all have.

1 Like

As if we wouldn’t be having this conversation if Obama was pres. I have as little respect as anybody for the man but our banalaties are our own.

4 Likes

Just told the wife this. Half the group expecting millions dead and the other half estate planning.

8 Likes

Coming soon to leftwing Unstuck Politics: How to spread your financial risk when the ovens fire up.

5 Likes

Bush voters didn’t think Bush bungled national security on 911

We are so screwed.

12 Likes

I agree with that, I think I laid some of that out upthread but there’s definitely a case to be made that it could spread way worse here than in China. Flip side is we aren’t getting blindsided like they did… But the preparation was carried out by the Trump administration. So… Yeah.

On the flip side we use way less public transportation and our poor people (who don’t always have the luxury of being germ freaks) are generally a lot more spread out than Asia.

Based on the fact there is no testing here in the US it seems extremely likely to me that there are tons of people infected here in various stages.

My wife works as a nurse in a ICU of a fairly large hospital and she said for Ebola they sent a team of people to some cdc event on treating it. Says there is no such thing happening now with the current cdc and her hospital isn’t even testing people for it.

Coronavirus case confirmed in Northern Ireland. The passenger travelled through Dublin Airport from Italy. Cheers boss, thanks for that.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if getting tested does all that much for you. Isn’t the treatment the same as what doctors normally do for severe colds? I’m not a doctor, I dunno.

Which is why people will avoid getting tested. Which could be a big problem.

Yeah I think they’ve decided that pretending it’s the flu until a ton of people start dying is the way to go.

Maybe there’s something in the US environment that makes it less of a problem - our constant flu shots, lack of close quarters, etc.

1 Like

News from the world of scientific research conferences:

Alert – Coronavirus Update
February 26, 2020

As you are likely aware based on current news reports, cases of coronavirus have emerged in several countries and travel advisories and quarantines are in effect in many locations. GRC’s management team is monitoring the situation closely and working with conference chairs to address the impacts of the disease on their conferences.

To date, we have moved and rescheduled all 16 conferences out of Hong Kong for the 2020 season as well as the 5 meetings that were scheduled to take place in Italy over the course of the next several weeks. The safety of our attendees is always GRC’s highest priority and we will continue to monitor the situation and its impact on the summer conferences.

We are hopeful that the virus will be contained in the next few months and plan to move forward with our summer season of conferences as scheduled, but GRC’s management team and Board of Trustees will continue to monitor the situation, and post additional information in the months leading up to the start of the season.