Coronavirus (COVID-19)

“Video game company urges players to avoid Plague Inc. game for information on coronavirus”

That sounds exactly like the fake news headlines in Plague Inc.

5 Likes

Let’s all move to Madagascar

With the recent outbreak, images from across the world show people wearing masks to ward off illness when traveling. However, wearing a mask is not a practice the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for preventing infection in healthy travelers.

There is little benefit to wearing a surgical type mask, and may even put you at greater risk for spreading infection, infectious disease doctors told ABC News.

1 Like

From what I can tell. Frequent handwashing. Avoid touching your face. Keep your distance from others.

These seem to be the three most effective.

1 Like

Chill. It’s easy to get things out iof perspective and the chances of you or a family member dying of this are very very small. You should probably all focus more on taking care how you cross the road.

2 Likes

:v: @Bestof

1 Like

Holy shit, you arent wrong. Be careful man. Wash and rewash

1 Like

A one in a hundred chance of you and anyone you know dying is not how I understand “You will probably be fine”.

My parents just came back from an event I’m Vegas today and they’re supposed to watch my son all week since his normal sitter is on vacation. The timing scares me. Not to mention the fact that I started watching Pandemic on Netflix like a week ago. Every day I’m more and more on team “simulation confirmed.”

1 Like

Official death toll up to 80 now.

Gonna watch “The Flu” on Amazon Prime now, because that’s definitely going to keep me from getting overly spooked by world events.

1 Like

I was the canary in the coal mine for the trump election night thread too. You all are massively underestimating how big of a deal this is.

1 Like

Also, and to be clear, I think people aren’t realizing the scope of what is happening right now in China. Here are known facts:

1. China is a famously tightlipped authoritarian state with a history of downplaying the severity of outbreaks;
  2. China is reporting a mortality rate of 3 percent. But again, they have a history of downplaying this.
  3. China’s hospitals are overwhelmed with people waiting in the streets and bodies in the hallways. Their doctors are passing out in the hallways and becoming sick themselves.
  4. China has effectively shut down a gigantic province and metropolitan area. For reference, China has shut down a population that is the equivalent in the US of us shutting down and quarantining, from North to South, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Washington D.C., and Virginia combined.

I continue my assertion that this is a huge fucking deal and this is not something that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

5 Likes

Anyone know any kind of blog or something that would focus on and curate news and give analysis of this story? Like I want the weather channel hurricane blog for bat AIDS or whatever.

1 Like

The guardian has live updates and good coverage.

Sure, but I’m more after something written by a genuine expert. Like if there were an epidemiologist or infectious disease physician who has a blog. I’m sure lots of papers have good reporting but ultimately it’s written by someone roughly as dumb as me who doesn’t have any deep understanding of the technical situation. Which is what makes something like a meteorologist’s hurricane blog so good when there is a hurricane bearing down.

Anyway if that blog exists dude needs to upgrade his blog stuff because he’s about to get a yuge increase in traffic.

There are currently 2,806 confirmed cases worldwide, including 80 fatalities.

So China’s totals continue to indicate a 3 percent fatality rate.

In DON’T PANIC news, a few experts are putting the brakes on this idea that asymptomatic transmission is common:

Professor Paul Hunter, at The Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia said: 'If person to person spread from people without symptoms became common then this would be extremely worrying. It would also be very surprising.

'The consensus from the SARS outbreak was that only patients with symptoms spread the infection.

'Patients with influenza can transmit the infection before becoming ill but only for a day at most before symptoms develop.

‘The primary way that coronaviruses are spread is by aerosols generated by coughs and sneezes.’

'By definition once a patient is coughing and sneezing they have already developed symptoms.

On Sunday, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said the risk to the American public for contracting this virus continues to be low.

“We at CDC don’t have clear evidence that patients are infectious before symptom onset, but we are actively investigating that possibility,” Messonnier said.

“We need to be preparing as if this is a pandemic, but I continue to hope that it is not,” she added.

The incubation period could be as long as two weeks. If people really are infectious in that time, this will be bad, but we’ll see.

In PANIC news, someone claiming to be a nurse in Wuhan has posted a video online asserting that 90,000 people are infected with the virus in Wuhan alone, much higher than official totals. However it’s not clear how she would know such a thing. Only tabloid sources are running with this story right now, so make of it what you will.

2 Likes

It seems based on the number of reported cases, if those numbers are accurate, that it’s roughly doubling every day. Anyone know how this compares to some of the historically bad pandemics?

I work at a university where a good chunk of the student body are Chinese nationals. I wonder what they’ll do if we get a case. I’m not on campus but people in my building go back and forth.