Coronavirus and Kids: A Thread for Parents

As long as we can get out for walks and solo play in the park my kid can do this for a while. In Italy even that’s not allowed, right? If we have to literally stay indoors all the time this is going to be really difficult soon.

Well, better than I hoped actually, we’ll still be allowed outside (in France) for “journeys necessary for a bit of physical activity”. We have a small communal garden but it’s next to the street and the entrance, so we were worrying some jobsworth soldier would tell us to not use even that.

1 Like

My daughter is playing “Seven Nation Army” on the cello right now.

4 Likes

DNC, killing their base to pwn Bernie. On brand.

Started trying to homeschool my 7 year old daughter today.

Teachers should be making hundreds of thousands a year, or a week.

6 Likes

My 4 year old loves this kids yoga youtube show called Cosmic Kids. I did this one with her today and it was great.

At about the 22 minute mark she was getting tired of it, but there were only two minutes left, so I said, “It’s almost done. Let’s finish the cool-down.” And she whispers to me, “It’s OK dad, we can stop. She can’t see us.”
:)

3 Likes

My 5th grader after the first day of digital school:

“I don’t like it. It feels like I have lots of homework.”

Me:

“Well, if you were in school, it would be schoolwork.”

2 Likes

Just an FYI for parents. Kansas has ordered all K-12 schools closed for the remainder. Other states are likely to follow suit.

From the main thread, posted by @emmpee

1 Like

Send me please

@emmpee is the one to ask. I was just quoting his post from the other thread so that it wouldn’t be missed by the Unstuck parents.

Apparently there are a bunch of online education sites offering free subscriptions:

2 Likes

https://archive.org/ has a ton of books, the wayback machine, but it’s also got a ton of old DOS games playable on the site (and ISOs of CD-ROMs you can download). I’ve got a kid playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. There’s Oregon Trail on there (teach your kids it’s best to caulk a wagon and float across), Math Blasters, Mavis Beacon, The Castle of Dr. Brain, etc.

3 Likes

Just because everything is a bit terrible at the minute, I’ll post that I had a lovely morning with my son today. The weather was gorgeous and spring like, we played football in the communal garden then walked very slowly for a few blocks. Hardly anyone about, you could hear birds in the trees in central Paris and we stopped and watched some thrushes (I think) have a bath in a puddle. He loved it and time flew. If all lock down days were like this it would be, at least for us, a delight.

(I know that they will not, obv.)

4 Likes

My kid just video chatted with a school friend for TWO HOURS! I couldn’t believe how well that went for a couple four year olds. They did crafts, looked at books, had a chat about what shows they were watching. It was great.

1 Like

excellent - you just reminded me of this

1 Like

Author/illustrator Mo Willems is hosting online illustration lessons:

He’s the author of books like this:

My wife and kids did a lesson yesterday. My wife’s effort:

4 Likes

And that reminded me of this:

Was my little one’s bday recently. My buddy got her kinetic sand. Whoever invented that deserves the guillotine after everyone else deserving.

2 Likes