Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Oh shit, you made me remember I’ve actually bought them a few times for this recipe in the last few years and it’s great. Much better use than with bbq sauce that I remember imo.

1 Like

Got a blackstone outdoor gas griddle for Father’s Day. Not sure what “good” means itt but so far

Cheesesteaks
Bacon n eggs
Burgers
Crab cakes (sear and finish on grill)
Various fried/grilled potatoes and veggies

This thread game me chills.

https://twitter.com/kevinleeme/status/1284184707110809600?s=21

5 Likes

Pretty effing cool. I love how chill and personable chefs like Grant can be about something that can seem so pretentious. Like, “Hey come on out to Alinea. Want to plate some shit? Let’s brainstorm this recipe”.

Man food is fucking awesome. It’s probably the easiest way to expose people to other cultures that may intimidate them from afar, and truly does bring people together. Travel may be antithetical to bigotry, but for those that can’t travel, going to your local Thai / Viet / Mexican enclave will probably do the trick.

4 Likes

I wonder if this pandemic is going to change America’s food culture. Our bread game has been terrible for ages, but now dudes are getting into homemade artisanal bread and becoming bread nerds. It’s like when home brewing became a thing that led to the craft brew movement that upped America’s beer game.

1 Like

Rate my shakshuka! Basically did what Yuv said with modifications based on what I had available. The harissa paste really put it over the top as I purposely didn’t make it too spicy so that my toddler might enjoy it (she likes spice but still gotta be careful). Wife and I both enjoyed it quite a bit despite not being able to get ideal bread.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I get it. This seems to me like a story about a dangerous untreated obssesive disorder, if it was portrayed correctly.

Looks fantastic. Extra points for mixing the whites

3 Likes

Since this is a food thread on a politics forum, this seems like the perfect place for this:

@Yuv - is this brand of Tahini any good. I’ve been meaning to buy some to try making some tahini based salad dressings.

You could make tahini salad, OR you can make tahini cookies. I think you know what you have to do.

Not only is it good, its the brand i used before this story broke.

Quoting myself

Yeah seems like this is easily the way to go, I don’t want poached whites for this but they thicken the sauce for you.

Fat Salt Acid Heat put me in the mood for pesto. Homemade pesto is super easy and always great plus you can play around with the herbs and nuts you use. Try throwing in fresh mint! Get yourself a nice big mortar and pestle because you will need more room than you might think.

3 Likes

We were watching it today!

1 Like

needed something fast so I made fried rice tonight.

Funny thing happened, though. I was being cute and trying to avoid dirtying a utensil, and just dumping a bit of rice into the wok straight from the container i had put it in overnight. Well, my dog barked, scared the shit out of me, and I wound up dumping about 2.5 cups if rice in (I usually make it about 1 cup at a time). Feel free to visualize that and laugh if you want. I did.

Thoughts of Kenji and how my wok was never gonna be hot enough to cook all this rice at once ran through my head before I said “FUCK IT” and just upped the amount of veggies and egg and cooked the entire thing in one batch.

Pshh…turned out fine. I made up for the lack of smoky flavor by adding a touch of sesame oil as a topping.

Moral of the story: fried rice is pretty forgiving, lol.

3 Likes

i had kinda the opposite failure today. made some kenji mac n cheese but forgot the pasta on high heat for way too long. decided to go with it. my wife said it was nice that the pasta had a smoky flavor. little did she know i made toasted pasta by mistake.

1 Like

Maybe I need to feed some to my pony. He clearly needs a boost.

Anyone got tips for flambe without burning my house down? I’ve got a recipe for peppercorn steak sauce with brandy to flambe, going to give it a whirl.

Confidence. That shit isn’t gonna burn your house down. You’re gonna make a fuckin SAUCE.

(Place booze in pan off the direct heat, reduce as possible off heat and flambé once you have a bit of reduction - the more it cooks off indirectly, the less flames you’ll have to deal with)

((Depending on your dining companion, she/he may be aroused by your flame management. In which case…direct flames & YOLO))