Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Just as a point of reference, this is a good starter, went in the fridge 24 hours after feeding.

Inside the jar you can see how high it rose after feeding last time, 3+ times volume. The faster the rise, the better the dough retains tension and holds it’s shape.

Make shakshouka again and this time it was really, really good. But, it’s a ton of food if you make a whole batch. I ate half and put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. Don’t really know how to reheat it without overcooking the eggs.

Tips?

2 Likes

I’m making my ancient family chilli sauce recipe today. It is outstanding. If anyone like chili sauce I’m happy to post recipe.

Proceed Governor.

Two tricks. Leave it a bit chunky and make sure you boil long enough so it’s not soup.

It’s amazing with eggs, meats like sausage or back bacon or as a spread on sandwiches.

Final product in jar

3 Likes

That seems like a lot of sugar. How sweet is it?

I would say moderate. Maybe 7/10. Can cut back sugar for sure. A friend makes it with half as much.

Country style rib suggestions? Grocery store subbed them for ribs dammit. May try the Serious Eats recipe.

1 Like

If they are the boneless kind, I like to first cover them with a dry rub and then brush on BBQ sauce and slow bake them. Simple but good.

Yeah, that’s what my family always did. They aren’t horrible but not as good as a rack of smoked ribs. I suppose I could turn them into pulled pork sandwiches with my ripper teeth things.

How were you planning on cooking the regular ribs?

Braised, smoked, or sous vide could all work well. Not sure what your capabilities are.

1 Like

Weber bullet smoker with a few chickens. Think it’s the Smokey Mountain model or something.

I’d never heard of country style ribs until today. Interesting. Apparently not even ribs. I think I’ll have to try this soon. I love this thread.

From the 2p2 threads and Serious Eats plus cooking for jobs when young, I’m pretty decent. At one point I made all the recipes from all the cooking threads on 2p2 into a OneNote recipe book. I suck at bread though.

2 Likes

I’ve been making them with the simple recipe I posted above for years, and I had no idea they were not even ribs lol. Trust me that simple recipe is very tasty for the tiny amount of thought and effort it takes to do it and get it right.

My family used to do what you did but in a crock pot mostly. I just remember them being so damn fatty.

I put them in a baking dish and slow bake them. The fat melts away leaving nice tender hunks of (apparently fake) rib meat.

1 Like

They’re kind of like fat pork chops. They are also relatively cheap.

Their fat content and irregular shape mean that they are probably best suited to low and slow techniques of cooking. As wookie said, braising, smoking, and sous vide. I think any pork recipe along those lines should be reasonably adaptable to country style ribs.

However, they are also meaty enough that you can treat them the way you might use a pork roast. Or you can cut them into smaller pieces for applications such as stir fry.

With a lot of meats, I find it easier to think of cooking them in terms of fat content. Fattier meats prefer lower temperatures and longer cook times. Leaner meats prefer higher temperature and shorter cook times. If you understand which particular category a particular cut falls under, you can see the road map for adapting recipes.

2 Likes

This is a good framing but could lead you astray. I think what’s really happening is that meats with connective tissue that needs to be broken down need low and slow cooking techniques, and they generally correlate to higher fat cuts.

1 Like