Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

How many pitas are does one typically eat with that. I think I’d need about 6 and even that might not be enough.

I like that, and the one with olives. But I’ve probably never had really good hummus so don’t know any better.

The universal code is to serve 2 pitas per person.

Sabra is to Hummus what Spam is to whole hog bbq.

1 Like

I fucking love Spam come at me.

1 Like

Is that meant to be shared by multiple people each of whom get 2 pitas?

I just don’t see how one person can eat all that with 2 pitas, unless they are enormous, or you’ve got a ridiculous hummus to bread ratio.

And if i’m spamming, here’s a genuine recommendation.

One of the main issues I see with Hummus in the states is the quality and use of Tahini paste. A lot of the brands I’ve tried here are just godawful.

Al Arz is the Tahini i used in Israel, but there’s an added twist here - they are in the news now for a program they started hiring Arab transgenders to their factories, donating to LGBTQ organizations and publicly supporting them. This has caused a big backlash from the very conservative Muslim and Jewish crowds. So if you want to seriously upgrade your Middle Eastern cooking plus support legit good people, give it a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Al-Arz-Tahini-3-pack/dp/B07KY5QP33/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=al+arz&qid=1594513673&sr=8-3

I suspect some Americans are using pita wrong. It is not a bread, it as a scooping vessel.

Wait, are you saying you double dip?

No. But you dont spread hummus on pita, you tear a piece and scoop with it. So the ratio is definitely different than if you view it as a slice of bread

But to be fair, they do serve unusual large portions. One trick, which might sound harsh at first, is to use the salted raw onion to scoop some of the paste. I really love the combo but raw onions aint for everyone

1 Like

At least I got that part down!

Yeah, I think I’ve got that part down. I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen someone do what you’ve described. People actually do that? Still there is no way I could finish that with 2 pitas.

No worries, you can ask for more and you won’t get charged unless they are ripping you off for being a tourist, which is very likely

I like the onions, but I normally will throw some bread in the bite as well.

I actually spent a good bit of my childhood in the Middle East and we had a family friend who was Lebanese. They made the best hummus and there were always onions. Really ruined me for all subsequent hummus.

1 Like

Used to love hummus + pita for lunch but there’s no one near me that makes it. Surprised it isn’t more popular here.

1 Like

I’ve never had a pickled egg. Has anyone here made them?

I eat hummus with raw onions too. or sometimes pita and raw onions together.

1 Like

No particular reason to post this, but I was going through my photos and saw it and it always cracks be up.

Last year’s office Halloween contest. I won for best costume, and best chili for the chili cook off. I’m the 2 time reigning champion. My secret? Half a bottle of crystal hot sauce. I took the office to flavor town.

7 Likes

I’ve used this recipe for hummus and it’s turned out good. I add a lot of roasted garlic, too.

I can’t tell if you’re supposed to be Guy Fieri or an anime character. Great costume either way, tbh.