Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Does it feel counterintuitive because “ferro” means iron and induction cooking requires ferromagnetic material, so your mind jumps to iron being the best for induction?

As I understand it, induction cooking works by producing friction caused by moving electrons. The greater the surface resistance, the more friction, and the hotter it gets, but the material has to allow for a certain type of electron movement. An explanation more than that is beyond my ken without some study.

There may also be some factors related to the thickness and smoothness of the pans. It’s possible that your scanpan is engineered for the optimal thickness which maximizes the efficiency, while I am pretty sure the cast iron isn’t.

It a bit more than that. A cast-iron pan is a giant piece of 100% ferromagnetic material. A induction compatible scanpan has a ferromagnetic base plus some other materials, so it is less than 100% ferromagnetic material.

Cast iron is a carbon-containing alloy. I have no idea how the carbon affects ferromagnetism.

I guess I shouldn’t have said 100%.

Let’s go with this:

Cast Iron X%
Scanpan less than X%

It has to do with the grain structure of the iron. Iron is non magnetic if you get it hot enough. Don’t think carbon content is important iirc.

The main thing is that it feels counterintuitive due to a purity fetish.

Sure. I thought that was clear.

Think of the iron as the core of a transformer and the outer metal layer as the coil. You don’t need the coil to be magnetic.

When Facebook is straight up taunting me. Yeah, I want to go back and eat this now too, motherfuckers.

"Your Memories on Facebook
Yuv, we care about you and the memories you share here. We thought you’d like to look back on this post from 8 years ago.

3 Likes

People have tried to open a couple hummus shops here and they never seem to last. None looked like that.

This is actually a Jewish Yemenite hummus place. It probably not going to make the top 10 list in Israel (as none of those are Jewish), but it’s right up there on the 2nd tier. It was also 2.5 minute walk from my apartment and opened at 6 am, which would be right as I got home from poker sessions.

One of the things they do differently (although you have to ask for it) is the use of Samna (the Arabic name for Ghee). It’s pretty uncommon and none of the younger generation likes it on the Hummus, so you have to ask specifically.

Is that some kind of edible bread bowl?

Not sure what you see. Its a bowl with hummus, fuul (fava beans), chickpeas and tehini (lots of spices of course). On the back you have zhug (chili paste with a lot of garlic and cilantro) and raw onion (a strange but addictivd way to add Hummus)

Different day, same dish.

1 Like

I thought the hummus was in the middle but now I see that’s probably the tahini and the hummus is underneath everything and is what I thought might be some kind of bread.

It all looks great - would love to try it.

2 Likes

Do you eat olives with hummus? I love them, especially Kalamata.

1 Like

Also completely vegan and fairly cheap (food in tel aviv is expensive). This will round out at about 6 bucks, including the pita.

Edit - unless you get it with the clairified butter of course. Or hard boiled egg, both are optional.

Some places serve olives, but it won’t be Kalamata, but what is called Syrian olives. Small, slightly bitter, still green

1 Like

Cast iron skillet care came up at one of my marital counseling sessions. I won. Therapist shut her down when I described the horror of coming home to find my cast iron skillet soaking in soapy water. It was horrible and I still get upset just thinking about it.

3 Likes

You could probably make that yourself.

I’ve never had homemade hummus that’s very good. I remember when terrible hummus was all the rage at every boring party for a decade. I’ve seen multiple Canadians put peanut butter in theirs. Oh and I can’t stand the Sabra ones with like… roasted red peppers blended into it.

I think part of that is that people are inclined to open a cam of soggy supermarket chickpeas to make hummus. That’s fine, but starting from dry will give you a better result.