Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

American snack foods seem to lean towards heat for new flavors, so Doritos flavors not on the Canadian Doritos website include Flamin’ Hot Cool Ranch and Tapatio.

Damn I gotta try that zesty cheese

Japanese Doritos flavors include Coconut Curry, German Potato, Gourmet Fondue, Cesar Salad, and Caramel.

I’ll 2nd this. Hawkins (brand name, not the knockoffs) Cheezies are peak corn snack.

1 Like

I like ketchup as an ingredient. Ketchup + mayo + relish + hot sauce + a little white vinegar is a great sauce for burgers. Ketchup thinned with apple cider vinegar + some hot sauce is a great dressing for cole slaw. On rare occassions when I make pulled pork I also make my own BBQ sauce which usually includes some ketchup (I am partial to Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce, but I’ve also just made a sweet and smokey one with ketchup as the base). I also like this sweet and sour fried chicken dipping sauce recommended by Chef John.

1 Like

We get one or two interesting flavors a year that rarely make the main rotation of sour cream, dill, bbq, ranch variants. This year was:

1 Like

How much of a hot take is it to like Takis over chips?

Takis are corn chips but yeah they’re good, not a hot take to prefer them over potato chips.

Every fried thing is a chip if you want it to be. I like the corn tortillas as a msg seasoning vehicle over the spuds

1 Like

Hello from Costa Rica

11 Likes

I miss Costa Rica! So awesome.

1 Like

Greece has some unique chip flavors

4 Likes

Josh and Ollie review extreme Asian chips.

I need to try those grilled lamb ones. Sment so many nights rolling out of Chinese clubs and then downing a dozen skewers from some dude set up with a tiny grill and a Styrofoam cooler.

1 Like

“Tiny grill” reminds me of the time I was 19 and I tried to cook a raw chicken quarter on an Hibachi on the balcony of my off-campus apartment.

After an hour we gave up and went out for pizza.

2 Likes

How crazy is this take?

Crusty, “artisanal” bread is very overrated. It’s annoying to eat in most forms and specifically makes lousy sandwiches. Maybe it’s good for dipping in olive oil, but even then the crust is often just too chewy.

2 Likes

Ban

1 Like

Agreed actually. There is a very small window where crusty bread is edible. Once the crust hardens and becomes chewey, you can never get back there

Eat some soup you monster!

Correct, imo. Not even close to a hot take.

Actually, I’d go even farther and say that crust, in general, is not great and the less of it the better.