Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

You know shit is grim when subway is your best option.

I’m in search of great sauce, marinade, or condiment product recs for an upcoming birthday gift.

I found a great Haitian habanero marinade from a small company in Philly, but it’s out of stock. Anything like a chili crisp would work too, although he already has that.

Basically, direct to consumer small food businesses that I can order from online.

Check out Bushel and a Peck on Etsy. My daughter got me a hot sauce gift pack from their store last Christmas.

1 Like

Random request for this thread but has anyone ever made a vinaigrette using Worcestershire sauce? We had this salad at a restaurant in Florida that my kid could not get enough of, they told me the dressing was just Worcestershire, oil, shallots, salt and pepper, but I’m not so good at making things up without measurements. I guess I’ll just try a standard ratio but would be appreciative if anyone had some particular insight.

I’m a stan for the Phoenix airport since they basically got rid of chains and allowed good local places to open up shop, but even then a lot of times the quality isn’t as good as you would get form the locations in town.

My brother swears by Fly by Jing, pretty sure he sent us the Sichuan Chili Crisp and it was pretty good: Sichuan Chili Crisp | Best Spicy Chili Crisp | Fly By Jing. If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s got a flavor that is distinct from something like LGM chili crisp, more vinegary.

1 Like

Ooh, I double on this. My brother in law brought me some FBJ last time he was in town and it is very very good.

1 Like

I’ve never had it but your post has me very curious.

The first hit on a ddg search turned up a recipe from an article in which the writer shares a similar experience.

They use chives instead of shallots so I’m guessing the ratio is pretty standard.

1 Like

Oh nice, thanks! This is more or less what I was going to do, maybe let the shallots macerate in the Worcestershire for a bit before whisking together.

I’d think about adding a teaspoon or 3 of some good mustard, at the very least to help emulsify the oil.

Thanks, I actually gave this as a gift to him over the summer! I put that shit on everything. Most importantly, popcorn. And pizza. And eggs. And noodz too.

I ended up going to a local specialty store and bought a Taiwanese dipping sauce/marinade, a local hot sauce, Za’atar spice, and Lowcountry farro. Pretty solid gift box for someone new to cooking.

1 Like

I don’t have any “good” mustard but I added some TJ’s yellow mustard and it helped. It’s overall too harsh though, the vinegar portion seems to be overpowering it. I may just have to mess with the ratio and also buy some actual good Dijon at some point.

1 Like

Anyone pay for Chefsteps recipes? They have a lot of stuff that looks fun to make.

I don’t pay for them, but their smokeless brisket recipe is fantastic, and the rub they put on it in that recipe is great on all BBQ.

1 Like

This one?

Got some canned san marzanos and made a batch of salsa puttanesca, one of the most underappreciated Italian sauces. People in America have weird hangups when it comes to anchovies.

IMG_0521

3 Likes

i’m a big fan of capers, anchovies and olives. weird that americans love salty food but that sauce isn’t popular there.

also you get to say ‘whore’ while eating it which must increase it’s popularity.

Got a recipe link for this one?

Also, do anchovy fillets in a jar need to be refrigerated? The jar doesn’t say so.

I can dig it up tomorrow sometime.

I always keep the tin of anchovies in the fridge after opening, although they’re basically already salted and pickled so idk if there’s any harm keeping them in a jar at room temp.

I use anchovies in almost all my tomatoe based sauces. Just melt it in the oil with your onions and garlic. I also think that using it in that way makes it fine to buy standard supermarket quality. If you plan on using it in chunks or full fillets i highly recommend getting ortiz which is fairly widely available

I use Worcestershire sauce for my tomato-based pasta sauce.

1 Like

Yes, but fair warning, as good as the spice rub is, make, like, a 1/3 recipe to start. It’ll still be too much, but also, it’s great on pork loin ribs or pork shoulder also. But their published recipe for the rub makes way, way, way too much. Their brine recipe makes too much brine, too. Use half-ish.

1 Like