Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

This seems like only something you do if space is limited. Roasted is pretty much the way to go for carrots and most other veggies that are served mostly on their own.

Well if Kenji says so, then I’m sure it’s great.

He does have a killer roasted carrot recipe out there as well, which I have eaten but not made.

Yeah, you really can’t go wrong with roasted root vegetables, but I can understand that when the oven is tied up with roasting a turkey people might need some stovetop alternatives for the sides.

I sort of agree that a good cranberry sauce is important to the meal. I’m not talking about that goopy purple ass jello shit though. I’m talking actual cranberries with some sugar, orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon stick, maybe a splash of Gran Marnier. That stuff is a delightful break from the buttery everything else.

2 Likes

I’ve kind of got the opposite “problem”. Like most people with 2 ovens, I really only use one, which make me feel like #2 is a waste. So if there s an opportunity to use #2, I’m taking it every time. Thanksgiving is one of the few times I can take advantage of it. Definitely can’t pass that up.

1 Like

Pardon me, Your Majesty.

4 Likes

Own it

2 Likes

I deserved that, but I do have severe buyer’s remorse over our second oven. We got a steam oven, but we pretty much never use the steam capabilities and it is slightly smaller capacity than if we just got a second oven just like the first. It was also more expensive. It was a terribly dumb purchase. We’re not nearly good enough at cooking to take advantage of it.

1 Like

Seems like not using the steam/convection as primary is a leak.

It is, but I don’t know what the fuck to do with it.

We did a turkey in it last year. I definitely wouldn’t have noticed a difference in a blind tasting (I only eat dark meat, maybe the breast-eaters could, but who gives a shit what they think).

The primary is convection, but no steam.

And we barely use the convection function.

This is all bad and I feel bad.

I’ll second this method, used to do it all the time and it’s tasty.

I’ve made the fancy cranberry sauce. Fuck that. I want mine from a can.

The key to Thanksgiving is a good gravy and things that you can use as gravy delivery vehicles, unless you’re eating gravy as a soup.

1 Like

Going to try to make some crispy tofu for the first time today. Anyone have anything better than Kenji on this?

The answer to this question is always no.

1 Like

I was about to post this.

I’ve made the crispy deep fried tofu a few times, its great. Just make sure the oil is hot enough. It really helps to have a thermometer that goes high enough.

1 Like

Recommend seasoning your cornstarch, it’s more effective than seasoning the tofu post-fry.

I use Kosher salt and sesame seeds when going the Asian route, garlic and onion powders if going with pesto or something like that.

1 Like

Speaking of the homie Kenji, it’s a build-your-own pizza party tonight. Made his sauce!

4 Likes

Isn’t sushi supposed to be finger food?

Ha yeah! Sorry I deleted the post bc it has nothing to do with cooking good food heh