Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I picked up an iron steak cause it was on sale wnd im cheap. Just salt it and cook mr or should i do something else?

i actually followed the recipe second time. first time i went light on seasoning (montreal poultry), chicken didn’t get very brown, garlic and butter didn’t fry as i added them after the broth.

i didn’t have frozen peas and needed to finish off some frozen corn from tj’s. also, there’s no tomato, that’s just a potato.

i don’t think potatoes can come out crispy in this dish, but somehow i avoided mushy.

Anybody make kimchee? Pointers or recipes?

First entry itt.

Short rib with peanut stew.

Decent short ribs. Okay marbling. Quick roast in the over

Garlic, onion, jalapeno, ginger, tomato paste, peanut butter, fish sauce, cumin.

Add a pale ale and some veggie stock.

Tried something new. Recipe called for collard greens, used rainbow chard. Color is much more exciting raw than cooked in a stew.

That plus sweet potato and coriander to finish.

Very tender.

10 Likes

Looks pretty delicious. I’m a bit surprised by the decision to roast the short ribs in the oven instead of searing them in your pot? Looks like you have a nice Dutch oven that would be really good at that.

Does it make much of a difference? Doesnt the oven get a greater coverage?

I also went for roasting based on time. That way I could fry the onions etc at the same time as doing the beef.

I was worried about time, had about 5 hours to get it all done. In the end I shouldn’t have been worried. The beef was super tender by 4 hours from the start, or about 3.15 from when they went in the pot.

Might try frying next time.

Browning the meat in the oven doesn’t usually generate the Maillard reaction as efficiently compared to putting the meat in a bit of oil in the bottom of a hot Dutch oven, so you don’t get as much of a deep brown crust on the meat. Or fond that gets left behind on the bottom of your pot, which is also desirable. I would sear the short ribs in 2-3 batches in the pot to get a good crust on them and the pot, pull them, and then turn down the heat a bit add the onions, other vegetables, and any spices. Use the water released by the onions to scrape up the fond left by the meat (or add a little water if the fond is threatening to burn before the onions have released enough water). Then once the vegetables are how you like them, add back the meat and the liquids just like you did and finish how you like.

That’s basically my stew technique for everything, regardless of the animal or cut of meat I’m using, or the national origin of the stew. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure this stew was a killer, and I’m thinking about making it myself, but searing in the Dutch oven will let you get a little more savory flavor (and will save you a dish to wash).

3 Likes

Basic roasting question:

If I’m cooking a piece of meat and using a digital thermometer, is there still a need to let the oven preheat before putting in the food?

Agree with all this but there is a benefit of efficiency. My largest heavy duty sheet pan has probably 3x the surface area of my dutch oven. If I get it screaming hot in the over, then take it out and 2 or 3 pounds of meat on it, then return to the over for 5 minutes I will have browned one side of all my meat, all at once. Sucks to loose the fond but I can definitely get a strong sear on my meat in the oven because my largest thick sheet pan will get extremely hot.

Technically no. It won’t harm it to go in while the oven is heating up.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with Zim. For raw meat, there’s not a real need for a piping hot oven to start (for the browning, usually you do that at the end), and it’s not like there’s enough time for there to be a food safety issue or anything. Obviously this isn’t true for things like bread.

Oh man, I love kimchi that looks awesome.

Yeah, I’m pretty curious about the vegan kimchi, and it doesn’t sound that hard. For regular, I’m still just gonna buy from H-Mart tho. $8 for one delicious quart.

Man I respect y’all for being super into kimchi but that stuff is nightmare fuel for me. One of the few things that I’ve ever had that I just can’t fathom tastes good to anyone. Makes me sad to miss out.

I’m with you, sort of.

When I eat kimchi, it’s nightmare fuel for my wife.

1 Like

Really? Kimchi scratches so many itches: spicy, salty, sweet, savory.

Yah it’s just that rotten/fermented fishiness flavor that is not in my DNA. Sad.

1 Like

Yea, I only like kimchi in small doses. Mixed in with bibimbap, great. Eating it just by itself? Nahhh

1 Like

sauerkraut >> kimchi imo.