Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Going from the cheapo canned tuna to the fancy $5 stuff is noticeable. Unless you’re using way too much mayo.

It’s better than the cheap stuff and more convenient than cooking fresh tuna? I mean, there’s a spectrum here between cost/convenience and quality.

almost killed himself with mercury? that seems like it would have taken months.

Get the fancy canned tuna, celery and onion, avocado instead of mayo, salt + peppa and a dash of lemon and some good rye. It’s very easy and satisfying.

I don’t remember the exact timeframe, but he was hospitalized.

errr… how many grams are in a 6 person sushi party platter? :(

1 Like

A typical nigiri portion is 1 oz ~ 28 g.

I usually just eat it with some crackers. It’s not the same as tuna salad but it’s passable.

This is the correct answer for dead fish in jar category. It also comes with a deadly weapon.

1 Like

My vote, taken from lunch 5 minutes ago. Smoked, great with lemon or plain.

1 Like

oh… oh no.

I am really partial to smoked mackerel.

Canned fish is definitely an acquired taste but man its really great stuff when you find great combos. Fresh bread + smoked mackerel + some quick pickled veggies, maybe with a bit of butter or cream cheese or something, that’s heaven.

1 Like

mackerel-smoked

Love me some smoked mackerel. Eaten too many to count. Love a nice steak cut of it, eaten with a fork and knife, euro dark rye, pickles / green onions and booze. The soft circles of loin meat in every steak… the oily thin part near the belly… all great.

1 Like

I like this article from SE.

In Toronto I have easy access to Portuguese grocery stores and they have all this stuff.

1 Like

They got Ortiz there, we cool SE.

Quality Spanish anchovy conservas (like Ortiz), are a far reach from the salt bombs you scatter on pizza or blitz into Caesar dressing. They’re carefully selected, hand-skinned, deboned, and canned with less salt than the common anchovy to let the natural fish flavors shine. Because they have less salt to preserve them, they’re kept in the refrigerator. Throughout Spain anchovies are elegantly strewn onto thin slices of bread or dabbed with a bit of marmalade to contrast the salinity. A tapas spot in the southern city of Seville serves anchovies in a tiny pressed sandwich with sweetened condensed milk. Also try anchovies draped over soft-boiled eggs or roasted broccoli. You just don’t want to cook with these—it’s better to savor their delicate texture and flavor rather than dissolve them into a sauce.

1 Like

I also really like Portuguese wine. My wife decidedly does not like smoked mackerel and Portuguese white wine for dinner, but I’ve learned that she can be bribed with Pasteis de Nata. Those egg tarts have saved my marriage.

1 Like

But how do you feel about Nando’s

I like it but I wouldn’t call it Portuguese food.

TJ’s smoked trout in oil is a pretty good can. i think in oil is very key to controlling for fishy taste. many other places have a similar product, but less known.

mainly use it in two ways: shredded with sour cream and onion for a dip, or added to boxed mac’n’cheese as a great camping meal.

1 Like

That’s like saying Outback isn’t Australian cuisine man.