Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I would like to take a brief moment to fire shats at both the silly fools who hate mayonnaise and the silly fools who say you can’t pair fish with cheese by submitting this photo of a humble tuna melt. It was incredibly delicious and far superior to whatever you had for lunch today.

10 Likes

Good tuna melts are a truly great food. Well done.

1 Like

I absolutely despise canned tuna. It’s one of the only foods I can’t get myself to enjoy.

1 Like

My parents used to make us eat this shitty ass tuna casserole bullshit with noodles and peas. We had to clean our plate and I couldn’t stand that shit. Parents made me sit up in kitchen while they were in the basement for funnel clouds touching down near us. I still didn’t eat that garbage.

ETA: That being said, all my friends that got hudge lifting weights back in the day ate cans of tuna like snacks. I’m not hudge.

3 Likes

Anyone had Tunisian Fricasse Sandwich? One of those street food i think will do well in the US if someone brought them over and a good use of canned Tuna

1 Like

Buying the expensive canned tuna makes a huge difference.

1 Like

There’s belly meat tuna usually sold as “ventresca” that’s supposedly much better for canning. Something about the higher fat content making it hold up better to the high temperatures of the canning process. But it’s $$$$$ and if I’m going to shell out that kind of money for tuna it’s going to be raw and not in some damn can.

If you’re going to make tuna sandwiches, go ahead and get the fancy stuff imo.

The stuff I’m talking about is like $10/can.

Sorry, ZZ. I regret to inform you that tuna and cheese still has no place in a cooking good food thread. I’ll die on that hill.

Also, you really need think about a spoilering such abominations. It would be the considerate thing to do.

We use this stuff for pastas or elite sandwiches. Its heaven.

tonnino-ventresca-olive-min

1 Like

Well stop shopping at Whole Foods, that’s your problem.

I think I’ve shopped at Whole Foods maybe twice in my life, and that might be an overestimate. Most of my groceries come from a local, unionized subsidiary of some dodgy Dutch multinational.

Are you one of those “I don’t even own a TV” people?

Even Costco’s Kirkland brand tuna is a big upgrade over most US brands. Crack it open and it’s almost entirely a single, intact chunk of fish in the can rather than a shredded mishmash.

1 Like

I never figured Wookie to be a canned tuna kind of guy. Don’t tell me we’re gonna see a Wookie tuna melt in this thread.

I’ve heard this. Don’t think it will be good enough for me to eat.

I love perch and walleye and panfish beer battered. Have had ahi that was awesome on the Santa Cruz boardwalk but any normal tuna shit I’ve had has been horrible. I also have bought steelhead salmon and cooked it and took a bite and gave it to my dog. She loves me.

I am certainly not above it, even if. I don’t buy it that much. I like to take the Costco cans, gently blend them with some hummus, and wrap it in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato and onion.

I don’t think I have ever had a tuna melt, but I am not opposed to the idea. ZZ’s looks great. It is just that they never were a part of my childhood, and I don’t eat often enough at places that serve them that they beat out Reubens and burgers and other hot sandwich staples.

1 Like

I do not, in fact, own a television. But I do have a big ol’ 4k monitor that plays movies and TV shows just fine.

The Whole Foods thing dates way back to the early 90’s upscale grocery wars in Austin. Whole Foods CEO (and libertarian douchenozzle) John Mackey was in the early stages of his competitor crushing corporate expansions and doing a great job of pissing off the not insubstantial local hippy food co-op scene. At the same time, family-owned Texas grocery behemoth H.E.B. was opening up their new high end Central Market, just a few miles up the same road Whole Foods was opening their new (later abandoned) flagship store. Lines were drawn. Sides were taken. It was srs biz.

As a lol Charter Member employee of Central Market who - last I checked - still has his name on a plaque in the original store stating such, my allegiances have always been clear.

Also, Whole Foods really is a shitty company and has been for decades.