Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I can just empty the contents of a Campbell’s beef broth can for you guys and you won’t be able to tell the difference.

1 Like

Correction. This is the spiciest hot take.

ETA: I’m just going to assume that the best pho in OKC is worse than the worst pho in most places.

2 Likes

Funny, @jwax13 I have some Vietnamese friends in OKC and they’re really the reason I love pho

I can just empty the contents of a Campbell’s beef broth can for you guys and you won’t be able to tell the difference

awesome

ETA … I mean, I’d never had pho before and yeah, I went from ignorance to obsession. It’s the lime…

1 Like

Pretty large Viet community in OKC. No coastal elitism allowed.

1 Like

I’m not much of a sweets guy but their dessert menu sounds basically perfect.

PINEAPPLE GINGER TUMERIC TART

• Vanilla Braised Pineapple, Coconut Gelato

BANANAS FOSTER

• Caramelized Filo, Crème Fraîche Cream, Rum Gelato

KEY LIME POSSET

• Young Coconut Sorbet, Honey Graham Streusel

VALRHONA FONDANT AU CHOCOLAT

• Cocoa Genoise, Garden Mint Ice Cream

HOUSEMADE TRINIDAD 70% “LE REUNION ESTATE” CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

• Hazelnut Custard, Sweet Tooth Espresso Gelato

SPRING RHUBARB

• Buttermilk Mousse Cake, Lemon Meringue, Strawberry Pâte de Fruit

TRIO OF SEASONAL FRUIT SORBETS

• Mandarin, Blood Orange, Rhubarb

CHEF’S SELECTION OF CHEESES

Like… if I was going to eat a dessert I’d want it to be one of these. Maybe a tiramisu or creme brulee once every few winters, too.

Yeah, not big on sugar but I do love semi-sweet desserts. Menu looks good. Interesting (KEY LIME POSSET)…

A posset was originally a popular British hot drink made of milk curdled with wine or ale, often spiced, which was often used as a remedy. In the 16th century the drink evolved into a cream, sugar and citrus-based confection, which is still consumed today as a cold set dessert similar to syllabub. Wikipedia

1 Like

24 hour temp ban please.

7 Likes

If you need broth based food, eat ramen.

It’s a North American thing maybe? I’ve seen it served this way most often. A fast food chain here called OPA serves all pita in this “taco way”.

I think its actually more Middle Eastern (stuffed) vs Mediterranean (folded) tradition. If your oven isn’t hot enough you don’t get pocket formation, so I think that’s the root cause of the difference.

In any event, they’re both fine.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense.

So I went down a rabbit hole of reading about shawarmas and I found this nugget on wikipedia:

Is that for real? I can’t remember ever encountering a turkey shawarma (never been to Israel either). I can see that being a nice change of pace, though I doubt I’d get it every time.

The hummus cafe in Vegas uses lamb and turkey for their shawarma and it was the best I’ve ever had.

1 Like

No. Mediterranean use a flat pita.

That dude made a fluffy pita and used it as a taco. It’s absurd and it tilts me to no end.

2 Likes

Yeah. But it’s more of the Jewish places and probably started because it was cheaper. Good arab places do a mix of veal and lamb.

What you don’t do, no matter what meat you are using, is PUT THE SHAWARMA ON THE PITA AND FOLD IT

My first hundred or so shawarmas were eaten in the Middle East, so I started out with a proper shawarma experience, but in USA#47, few places put the stuff in the pita in my experience. Generally they do some sort of wrap. I guess folding like a taco is just the next step down.

it’s bat shit crazy. why? it’s not like no one in America has seen a bun before.

Now we’re getting somewhere. I think Ramen > Pho, but I remember asking this in 22 (didn’t do poll) and the results were surprisingly close between the two as far as which one was better.

I have opinions.

Good ramen far out performs good pho.

Mediocre pho is better than mediocre ramen.

3 Likes

As a home cook for so much of my eating, I’d also add that the pressure cooker chicken pho is absolutely wonderful for minimal effort, while there is no analog for either ramen or beef pho. Making either of the latter 2 at home is pretty much going to take all day.

3 Likes