Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

That sucks. But everybody eventually has something go wrong in the kitchen, at least you’re not burned or cut or something!

Rip blueberry habanero. Other one looks great though.

Made one of our other favorites last night: vegetarian shepherds pie, using this recipe. I usually scale it up a bit and this time I used chicken broth to ruin the vegetarian aspect of it. Cooked the lentils in a rice cooker with a 2:1 ratio and they came out perfect.

My wife also wanted a funfetti cake for her birthday and took a break from work to ice it herself after I baked it from a boxed mix.

5 Likes

I mean if it’s my first time ever fermenting something; well I guess I made a few batches of beer but whatever. I’m going try and repeat the recipe again this weekend. Lessons learned include: sterilizing equipment better and making sure I get full contact on the plastic wrap surface.

3 Likes

I salute you!

1 Like

Cue euros ripping the Cougar Gold. I never heard the review from whoever got sent a can. Link please if anyone has it. Thx.

I’ve been adding spinach to my shalshuka, it works rather well.

1 Like

You inspired me. No mushrooms, so subbed zucchini. Not enough regular potatoes on hand so used sweet potato as well. Added grated parmesan and jack cheese to the potatoes prior to baking too.

Delicious. Will make again.

6 Likes

I do like the idea of having a couple of cans of (decent?) cheese in my pantry in case of lockdown/zombie apocalypse.

Even before you open them? I’m not really sure why they put them in a can if that’s the case.

since i’m obligated by law to respond to shakshuka related messages, pita bread isn’t a great choice for shakshuka.

1 Like

Based on this, it does preserve it longer than plastic packaging, but they couldn’t quite make a shelf stable version. And, apparently, even the ability to can it was kind of a big deal at the time because the type of cheese they were making would produce co2 which could cause exploding cans. So, they introduced a special co2 eating culture into the mix.

1 Like

What bread do you use? When I know I’m going to make some shakshuka, I try to get to our local shop to get the primo stuff: https://www.barriobread.com/bread/bread.html

Looks great. I wonder if my toddler would be more into the potatoes if they were cheesy.

Interesting. I have even gotten some straight from the source on campus, but I don’t recall being told that it was both not shelf stable and yet also edible for decades afterwards as long as it is refrigerated. I can’t think of many foods that both require refrigeration and can last that long under those conditions.

It’s a very good cheddar cheese.

Yeah, that did seem like a small needle to thread.

1 Like

Wtf!

Damn. That was more than I would have guessed.

Is it cheaper if you buy it in person, or is $25/can the standard price?

I can’t find it for that price. Can you send me link. I am going to get my brother in Portland to ship me some. I’m super curious.

The amount of food we ship across the border to each other is nuts. He recently found the best salt water taffy on earth which he has been shipping me.

A pound of cheese lasts you 4+ months? Do you actually hate cheese or something?

1 Like

I didn’t realize how big that can was. I was envisioning something about the size of a tuna can. Seems fairly reasonable, actually.

1 Like

I eat soft, golden cheese the way God intended—out of silver foil packaging which was lovingly placed inside a molded rectangle of cardboard.

1 Like