Coober Pedy TR

For those who missed the first post, I’m on a 3-night trip to Coober Pedy with my girlfriend (and her 16 year old son). Coober Pedy is a small opal mining/tourist town in the middle of the Australian outback, population 1,762 at last census. The tourism benefits from it being one of the few towns on the long haul through the outback from Darwin to Adelaide.

Man that’s a long drive. It mostly looked like this:

To be fair, there are some straggly-ass trees at points as well, but it’s really just different flavours of nothingness.

Having arrived, we settled into our underground lair. Many people in Coober Pedy live in underground dugouts to escape the murderous summer heat. (It being winter now, it’s very pleasant, sunny and low-20s (70ish F), although quite chilly overnight, down near freezing.) The sandstone is soft enough to dig out with hand tools, yet solid enough that there is no danger of collapse.

The first night we just relaxed and slept, then I woke up and checked out the outside of our lair.

Here’s the view across the street:

images

Sorry, that’s actually a screenshot from Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome which was filmed partly in Coober Pedy. Here is the real view:

So, up and into town. Quite by accident, we ran straight into the spaceship from Pitch Black, which is lying around in the yard of a hotel basically. I’m probably going to rewatch the movie tonight.

Side note: Last night for the first time I watched Priscilla, Queen of the Desert which is an Australian movie from the 90s also filmed in part around Coober Pedy. It was a big hit here, I’m not sure if it was a thing in the US? Anyway it was a sympathetic portrait of drag queens, but it would be cancelled for about 5 different reasons these days. Just a CANCEL CULTURE side note. Anyway…

On to the Serbian Orthodox Church. This church was carved out of the rock in 1992 and features rock-carved religious sculptures by an NZ artist, each of which took a month or two as he has to be very careful. It was pretty cool.

On to Crocodile Harry’s. He was an eccentric who fought for the Germans in WW2 then became a crocodile hunter and after that an opal miner. He has 1,000 signatures of virgins in his bedroom. He used to charge people $2 to look around his house, and after he died in the mid 2000s his house was preserved. It was a bit of a letdown really, just a creepy messy mancave, but here is his collection of womens underwear in his bedroom:

Here he is wrestling a croc:

Visited a few other places: a museum, an old preserved opal mine and an underground house where three female miners lived back in the 70s. They were “business partners” and “friends”. I have speculations about what else they were, but I didn’t ask. No photos from there.

In the evening we headed out to see the Dog Fence, Moon Plain and Breakaways. The Moon Plain is sort of self explanatory:

Yep. The Dog Fence is a fence that stretches most of the way across Australia, built to keep dingoes out of sheep country. At 5600km (3500mi) it is the longest fence in the world.

The Breakaways are a series of oddly-coloured hills in the outback, one of those things that is impossible to photograph, but this photo came out quite nicely:

I’ll get some more photos of the town today. It’s 9:40am so we are gearing up to head out. One more night tonight then the long drive home tomorrow. I’ll probably wait until I get home to post the second part of the TR as doing this on my phone is a pain.

39 Likes

This might be the first time American craft beer has made it into this town. I brought these up from Adelaide, note the names:

I didn’t rate that US one, my gf got much the better deal with the Adelaide one.

5 Likes

Classic. Seen it a couple times. IFC / Sundance / art film theater mainstay.

1 Like

The whole bit where the bus first breaks down in the middle of nowhere is shot in The Breakaways. If you Google “Priscilla Breakaways” you’ll see. They take a few liberties with the way the geography lines up (like they pretend the Breakaways are ages out of Coober Pedy when in reality they’re like 15 miles) but all the named places they go are really that place. Like the Coober Pedy scenes are shot in Coober Pedy, the Alice Springs scenes are in Alice, etc.

1 Like

Wow looks great. Truly jealous as a Victorian of you being able to move around anywhere. I’ve never been to SA, WA or the NT and know lots of Vics who are the same. Got some weird eastern seaboard elitism going on

1 Like

I guess. Might be a me and my friends thing honestly. I lose track of where things are and aren’t used sometimes. Friends, gambling world, internet, Australia, America. Too many different worlds.

In SA there’s the wine regions, Flinders Ranges, Coober Pedy is unique, Adelaide is fun in March at Fringe time and a very liveable city, but it’s otherwise a flyover state if I’m honest.

The lady who owns the Airbnb here said she gets more Victorians than anyone else and had a bunch booked in before the border reopening got cancelled. The lack of tourism will really bite in Coober Pedy in the summer though. Aussies all come here in the winter because that’s the sensible time to visit, international tourists in the summer because that’s when people come to Australia.

awesome, look forward to the rest of the trip :+1:t4:

1 Like

I use that expression too and I’m originally from NSW.

1 Like

Brits use it too.

Priscilla is great for its time. Has some absolutely shocking racism tho. Maybe it needs a special intro like gone with the wind.

On the topic of problematic media. Disclosure is absolutely amazing. definitely worth a watch. About trans representation in media. And how trans people have super mixed feelings about stuff like the crying game.

My brother (with his girlfriend at the time and when he would have been seen as a lesbian) went through coober pedy in the late 90s. They broke down and ended up staying with a couple of swastika flying neo nazis who were convinced the Chinese were going to invade with all the guns confiscated after the Port Arthur massacre. Apart from that, they were supposedly pretty friendly.

2 Likes

Yeah the Asian wife scenes are wildly racist in their entirety. The singing of the “fat trannies on the wall” song also raised my eyebrows.

1 Like

Thanks for the interesting TR, Chris. Looks like an interesting place. Kind of reminds me of some of the CA/NV deserts. The underground house is pretty cool, and you educated my American lack of geography as I didn’t realize how big AU is. A 3,500 mile fence would make our president very jealous.

Lol this is so true. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used poker/gambling terms in other circles accidentally. “That’s a lock to be true.” “That will be a good sweat.” “Hopefully you can fade that.” Etc.

So… in non-pandemic times do you take the Ghan instead of driving?

Is the dog fence the same as the Rabbit proof fence? (great movie BTW) Or does Australia just love long fences?

Dingoes are pathetic AF if they can’t find a way past that weak ass fence.

5 Likes

That’s West Texas real estate there. With a bit of New Mexico and Monument Valley thrown in.

Dingoes eat yer babies, though. That’s pretty rock hard.

Meh. They’re babies. Not a high bar. Lower than that fence.

1 Like

Cool TR of a place I’ve never heard of! However this place gives me flashbacks to my fieldwork in the Wucaiwan Desert in China which are not super pleasant memories so it’s a hard pass from me.