College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Yeah conference realignment sucks. I have to pull for USC and Oklahoma on the same day?

i was thinking, haha fuck usc enjoy that flight home, that’s gotta be the longest losing flight home in the country. then i remembered ucla lost in louisiana.

lol angeles

4 Likes

nope, usc flight is 400 miles further. good

1 Like

Urgent alert: huge freeze is still a walking trash bag filled with diarrhea

https://twitter.com/nextroundlive/status/1837635939482390654

(The reason he doesn’t have a QB is that nobody wants to play for him because they know he throws every QB under the bus)

1 Like

https://x.com/bowallace14/status/1837671233506193888

Worth clicking through.

2 Likes

I’m happy to be able to root for a coach who will do the opposite of what Freeze did.

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1837381440217972884

6 Likes

i don’t get it.

Freeze and Auburn deserve each other.

1 Like

Colorado fans are rushing the field after beating Baylor.

1 Like

chappelle’s show sketch “the racial draft”. i guess you’d have to watch it, different races are having a draft and picking people from other races that they feel like shoulda been their race anyway.

1 Like

https://x.com/bowallace14/status/1727918389765562545?t=Ix7pa5zmtBR51oGGHYiGAg&s=19

1 Like

Getting a little harder to act like the scrappy good guys just trying to keep it together!

Alright, I was able to track down a copy of the complaint to try to puzzle out what’s what here. I’ve read through what feels like the relevant parts. Admittedly the very general citations to California’s Unfair Competition Law are giving me more homework than I likely want to take on, but I get the gist of the situation. While not being able to give a confident read of the legal merits, I can’t fault either conference too much for how they approached this.

Pac-12 was in a desperate spot, MWC took out some pretty draconian measures to leverage our desperation, but they did so out of what has turned out to be the very fair fear that we would ultimately be a threat to their long-term viability, Pac-12 agreed from their state of desperation to a clause that they likely never intended to honor without at least being forced to by court order. When MWC turned up the temperature during the past two months to really try to bleed the Pac-12 dry and make it unviable for the Pac to do anything but accept a lesser position, Pac-12 went on offense, and here we are.

Two lesser conferences got into a desperate existential struggle as a natural byproduct of the bullshit that happened among the big conferences and the major networks to consolidate power and leave everyone else out. I don’t see MWC as villains here; I also don’t feel bad about what our conference did. Personally I continue to point the blame upward at the conferences and networks that tried to crowd us out of existence entirely to continue moving toward a geographically nonsensical super-league that most fans don’t want.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, I guess I just wish we weren’t in this position. And from an optics perspective, it’s not a good look. To me it also seems clear that the lawsuit is just part of the negotiation process - they’re obviously going to pay the MWC something and are just using this as leverage to get them to accept less.

I agree, it’s difficult to win the PR battle on this one despite our position not being any more ignoble than MWC’s.

Of course, the long-term optics (albeit a different kind of optics) for our athletics of simply folding the conference and joining with the MWC, thus fully accepting a relegation that had nothing to do with merit, are even worse. And it seems like MWC wasn’t going to accept anything but trying to force us to choose among shitty options.

I don’t wish we had done otherwise under the circumstances, that’s where I guess I land. But I’m with you in that I badly hate the situation as a whole more than anything.

Oof, I just read the threads on r/cfb and the response is brutal.

Doesn’t matter, but yuck

People being taken in by a simplistic talking point en masse? That doesn’t sound like Reddit.

2 Likes

Congress should step in and force FBS to return to 1990 conferences. All this bullshit started when the SEC expanded to 12 teams.

2 Likes

Absolutely. 10 team leagues make sense for football and basketball. 18 team leagues are nonsense where Georgia has to play every top 5 team in the conference and Missouri has to play one of them.

2 Likes

The ACC was fun as hell when it was just nine teams: Virginia, Maryland, UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, FSU (older purists liked it before FSU joined, but that was before my time). Basketball was perfect: home and home with each team, 16-game conference schedule.

Football was a nice, tight 8-game ACC schedule, played every team every season.

2 Likes