College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Saw a plan on tiktok that divided the country into 5 geographical regions and each region had three tiers with relegation.

Would never happen because no way you get half the t2 teams and t3 teams to accept their placement.

1 Like

NCAA 14 was great for this. 5 big conferences. 5 mid conferences. And then 1-2 catch all for the EMU and Idaho scrubs.

Would like to see this if you can remember where you found it.

My proposal (once conferences are fixed): go back to the four major “BCS Bowls” with the five major conference winners, one G5 and two at-larges.

Rose Bowl is always Big Ten vs PAC 10 etc… (obv where the G5 team goes would need to change up to not give one conference a big advantage)

Then a week and a half later is The Natty. To be eligible you must have won your conference and your bowl game (idk maybe let ND be eligible if they’re undefeated). That means a maximum of four teams would be eligible but more likely three or even just two, depending on how the at-large teams play.

Bowls are preserved, drama for who plays for the championship will extend all the way through the bowls. Value of bowls salvaged.

My first year of understanding CFB at all was 1996. It was chaotic but there was a clear pre-bowl order of FSU —- ASU —- Florida and there were unwritten rules in place that made Florida the champion despite there being so many other one-loss teams.

Ohio State had already effectively been eliminated from winning a national championship but played their hearts out to beat ASU in the Rose Bowl. I’d trade national championship clarity to go back to that.

1 Like

How is there no fair way to do a playoff? Getting left off at the 9th spot is different from getting left off at the 5th slot when you are undefeated. Since it’s more $$ for more games, I am shocked they’ve waited this long.

But I agree with you that I would rather not have a playoff. Its fucking lame.

An eight team playoff would be fair in that, as you say, the 9th team has a weak case and almost certainly wouldn’t win anyway.

HOWEVER

There just simply isn’t an objectively fair way to determine the national champion in college football.

Best team? Most perfect season? Even playoff seeding is bs because there’s just not nearly enough connectivity in the regular season. So while the playoff itself might be fair, it’s still a subjective way to determine the champion. NBA vs EPL…and college football can’t do either.

So, for me, and obviously I’m biased to my own context as a fan, I don’t think “fairness” should be a priority when it comes to the natty.

The priority, IMO, should be to Make Bowl Games Great Again.

1 Like

Yup, not sure you who I get to 8, but either pick 8 or play down to 8.

Looks like the new schedule is

A week before Xmas, 5-12 play down. Winning 4 join top 4 for final 8.

1 game NYE, 3 games NYD. That’s your bowl games that mean something.

(Do the 5 thru 12 losers still play in bowls just for fun?).

I’d rather they pick 8, but at least there is a real incentive to get in the top 4 to get a bye.

With everything that has changed - transfer portal, NIL, draft eligible players sitting, conference realignment, etc - bowl games are never going to be great again.

At this point, expanded playoffs giving more teams shot at national championship (even if remote) is the only way to have more relevant games.

4 Likes

If I’m the QB for 10-2 Penn state and I’m the 10 seed

And I’m
Projected to go top 5

Still not playing

You’re right. To my mind CFB is dead. Conferences, NIL and the transfer portal can and likely will be reformed but it will all be too late.

There are so many scenarios where it doesn’t make sense for players to risk their future.

They should pay the players directly for these games, but even if they give everybody $100K (they won’t), it still won’t make sense for them if they’re risking millions.

1 Like

I will try to find it today.

Edit went through my last couple weeks of favs and couldn’t find it. Will try a search later.

1 Like

It seems like the template for NCAAF has long been set by NCAAB. Everyone loves March Madness and there is never an equivalent controversy around the champion or participants. So I propose that they replace the bowl games with a big basketball tournament.

3 Likes

Entertaining military industrial complex bowl

Does “go for 2 after you score when done 14” apply to iffy military academy offenses the same as it does generally?

Not sure about that play call.

Although I suppose it did expose the disturbing unreadiness of today’s military.

“if you gave Falwell an emema, he could be buried in a matchbox”

hahahaha :fire:

Thoughts today in response to Oregon landing Gabriel and their current backup Ty Thompson transferring out.

If you are an elite high school QB, it seems to me you are better off going to a lesser program where you’ll be a favorite to play immediately and then if you are good you can transfer to a big program with effectively a guarantee you’re the starter.

On the other side I’m not sure it makes much sense for the wealthy programs to put much into recruiting/paying QBs out of high school when you know there’s a steady supply of experienced starters with a year or two of eligibility to bid on each December.

1 Like