College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Of course it’s unfair.

Let’s say you’re UTEP. How can you win the national championship next year? If the answer is “you can’t” (and it is), that’s stupid.

Is there any other sport/competition that you can name where winning all your games does not result in you being called the champion?

1 Like

IMG_8279

1 Like

wut

So does strength of schedule and quality of wins.

If I recall correctly the bcs matched up the two highest ranked teams, how does that work with an undefeated uga/um/wash?

The stupidity of the system is having them nominally competing for the same championship as P5 teams when a season only features 12 or 13 games.

Dozens of teams beat everyone on their schedule tougher than Liberty’s best opponent. Fairness goes both ways.

Also UTEP has an easier path to a championship next year than every single P5 school.

The real championship is the conference championship. The national championship is kind of like the pre NHL Stanley Cup: we put most of our effort into winning our regional league, but season is over and these other leagues are out there so we might as well put something together and make some more money.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I see what you’re saying

That exact thing happened to auburn in like … 2004? Tubby was the coach

They are the champ.

Sun belt champ

They can be champions of their conference.

If Reading FC wins all their games next year they will be champions of League Two. When Tulane won all their games in 1998 they were champions of Conference USA.

1 Like

If you want to bring promotion and relegation into this, I am 100% for that.

1 Like

If there were some way to have a flexible playoff system with anywhere from 2 to 8 teams participating, it would be optimal.

Basically, you would just expand or shrink the size of the playoffs until you have at least 1 SEC team in the field. I don’t think any reasonable person could find a problem with this.

1 Like

Do we know the 12 schedule?

Is it 4 games before the holidays and then QFs on NYD hopefully?

There is simply no fair way to create a playoff, and thus no fair way to declare a national champion.

That’s the nature of a league with 65 or however many teams that play 12 games (let alone if you factor in G5 schools).

The system for crowning the champion is fucked alongside CFB being the most exciting season. The more you try to fix the former the more you take away from the latter.

80% of P5 teams have zero shot at a championship anyway and an expanded playoff only consolidates equity among loaded programs.

I can only speak for myself, but Oregon winning a game back in the day to get one win closer to making the Rose Bowl was as exciting, often more so, than Oregon winning a game to get one win closer to the playoffs. Starting next year the comparison won’t even be close.

1 Like

The important thing about the cut off next year. If you feel you should be 12 but got marked 13

Fuck off don’t lose 2 games

This year was a cluster with 4 teams in and 7 teams viable

1 Like

LOL I just remembered about Oregon and liberty

1 Like

If Florida state doesn’t lose their qb Uw was getting left out. You think Oregon would have gotten in if they won pac12?

Most likely, but it’s speculation.

Two losses will get you in comfortably if you are B10 or SEC.

The bright side is being reminded of Christopher Hitchens beautiful eulogy of Jerry Falwell. When the man was right, the man was right.

4 Likes