College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

:thinking:

Should just have a one-off Super Playoff with FSU and Bama/Texas winner. Why not?

1 Like

Not necessarily worried, but moreso annoyed.

It sucks having a -700 walk in the park turn into a coinflip.

Indeed results on the field should matter. If Texas had gone undefeated thereā€™s be no question.

In the match they played Texas won. Advantage Texas.

Rest of the season Alabama was undefeated and Texas wasnā€™t. Advantage Alabama.

While it will always be somewhat subjective I think ranking the performances by each team throughout the season is a better tiebreaker for teams with the same record (from major conferences) than only considering a single match.

Is there a scenario where you can envision the head to head loser being more deserving when they both have an equal number of losses?

Three undefeated teams is an anomaly. Note that three is less than four which is less than twelve.

Penn State doesnā€™t need a shot at a championship. They had the season to do it and failed.

Hell, of all the opening round teams weā€™ll see Oregon from this year might be one of the teams with the highest equity if there was a 12 team playoff. It was a nice season, but in natty terms the Ducks absolutely 100% failed. Giving them a playoff do-over renders the regular season worthless.

Ohio State seemingly plays Indiana five times a year. Beat them and your in the playoffā€¦fucking stupid

Genuinely sucks for Florida State (as an Oregon fan Iā€™ve been there), but trading away the regular season to fix the natty is dumb. Natty controversies are a necessary fact of life in a world where teams at the top can fuck up their season any given Saturday.

Iā€™m trying to avoid writing a book here so Iā€™m not even going to get into how the playoff, particularly an expanded one, has devalued what once were considered fantastic seasons and must-see bowl games by teams that are out of contention.

It is and always will be subjective when it comes to who deserves the championship and to me it should be the team that has the most perfect season. Not the best team. Not the deepest team. Sure as shit shouldnā€™t be a loaded team that sleptwalked to a 10-2 record but was healthy and ready to make a run in the playoffs.

1 Like

12 is too many but 4 is not always enough, teams like this years fsu and 2014 tcu should always have a shot. 6-8 is a good sweet spot

I feel like Iā€™m advocating bringing back the Hapsburgs writing this but I genuinely think the original BCS was the best system.

The regular season was Squid Game when it came to the natty, and at the same time there was an elite tier of bowl games that were not the exhibitions played by backups that the NY6 is.

The playoff makes the national championship the be-all-end-all.

I believe the selections have aligned with the BCS every year so far, save for this year which had Texas at #5.

Naw this is some serious revisionist history shit the bcs was fucking horrendous. what if uga wins last week? Then you just leave Washington or Michigan completely out of contention? The postseason is devalued now because the players opt out and enter the draft/transfer portal, not the other way around. Bringing back the bcs is not going to change that.

1 Like

Itā€™s not revisionist as I recognize the controversies.

What made the original BCS great was that you had tiers of bowls.

1 natty

3 BCS games

Holiday Bowl and some others

Car care bowls

Even pre-portal no one watched NY6 games. Everyone watched the BCS games before they added the fifth one.

There hasnā€™t been any rule change thatā€™s led to players sitting out bowl games.

Itā€™s that now because of the playoff we have #11 and whichever G5 team playing in the ā€œeliteā€ bowl games they are viewed as exhibitions and all bowl games beneath them are seemingly random and thus even more of an exhibition.

The playoff removed the bowl hierarchy and without that they are meaningless.

Sounds silly now, but the Holiday Bowl used to be a big deal.

Yeah, original BCS was great where a team could win all of its games and not only not be invited to the championship, but sometimes not even get a BCS game.

Teams from minor conferences are effectively competing at a different level than those from major conferences. News at 11.

Did neutrals care about who was winning the BCS (2nd tier) bowls? Genuine question as I was young and didnā€™t follow cfb much at that time. The only result I can remember was when Boise state beat Oklahoma.

Somehow i doubt going back to an annual PAC 2 vs B1G24 rose bowl is going to hold the same luster as it did when it was the big ten vs pac 10. You are using bcs > cfp as a proxy for college football was better as a sport 20 years ago when those are really two completely separate statements. Cfb has gotten worse for a million different reasons the CFP is like the very bottom of the list.

1 Like

I obviously know that.

Iā€™m saying thatā€™s stupid and should be fixed.

I looked up the ratings a while back and they were way higher than NY6 games across the board.

1 Like

The problem is that any system that gives Liberty a chance at a Natty is always going to lead to letting in loaded teams that sleptwalked through the season but could win a playoff.

I donā€™t think itā€™s that unfair to recognize that Liberty et al compete at a different level.

Especially now that Cincinnati, SMU and UCF are out there should simply be a G5 playoff. Youā€™re not losing any bowl game traditions and everyone would watch.

2 Likes

how much money would nick saban have offered for the last spot if the committee somehow could 100% prove no one would ever find out?

like if the money disappeared from his bank account and it 100% would never come up again?

$5 million?

More.

1 Like